Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

On/Off Switch problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

KartikVepa

I made a simple circuit using LEDs for my friend, to spell his initials. I used a pushbutton on/off switch so that the battery wouldn't get used when it was off, but unfortunately, even when the circuit is in the off position, the battery heats up and is used up. I was wondering how i could remedy this. Thanks in advance

If the switch is connected between the circuit and the battery and disconnects the battery then it will work.
But since your battery gets hot when it is switched off then the switch is shorting it, not disconnecting it.

Oh, that makes sense. The switch is an illuminated pushbutton switch and theres a 1 pin and a 2 pin. I attached the 1 pin and the 2 pin to the positive and the negative. How should i have hooked it up?

Usually an illuminated switch has two pins for the switch which connects in series with the battery and the circuit. you connected it in parallel so the switch shorted the battery. It also has two more pins for the light.

The switch can be used to connect the positive battery wire to the positive circuit wire then the negative battery wire is always connected to the circuit's negative circuit wire.
When the switch is turned off then the battery is idle.
Connect the light in the switch to the circuit's two wires if it uses the same voltage.

a photo of your switch would help, if it's like a lighted door bell button, 2 terminals only, there is a high resistance light across the terminals that lights up when not pushed, When pushed, the light is bypassed and the current goes to the door bell. If that is what you have, the battery never really gets disconnected.

audioguru was right, i was just shorting it, i connected the positive wire through the switch and it works now, thanks

You're just lucky it wasn't a car battery, otherwise the switch would have burst into flames. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back