Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ON/OFF pulse switch???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra1

Didnt know what to title this as, im looking for something that requires a single quick pulse to activate a switch.

once the switch has been activated i dont want it to consume any more power so a relay is out, looked at thyrister but they require a continuous current to stay on.

the switch is connected to a timer, every 3 hours it sends a pulse, this will activate the switch, the switch is a double throw, i.e it has 2 outputs

so as an example i need it to do the following,

3 hours elapsed, pulse, switches to device A
3 hours elapsed, pulse, switches to device B
3 hours elapsed, pulse, switches to device A

anyone any ideas???

555 and 4017 can fulfill you requirement.
You just use only Two channels of 4017, so that it can toggle one and other for each pulse.
But i am not sure about 3 hours time delay using 555 timer.

Hi cobra,

use the CMOS-version of the 555 timer circuit. You should be able to generate 1 pulse every three hours (better use a timer circuit and a binary counter, e.g. CD 4020 to keep the timing capacitor within small dimensions and timing more accurate).

Use a JK-Flip-Flop (CD4027) to switch on the loads alternating.

Boncuk

Last edited:
hi guys, thanks for the input, i have just looked at a couple of circuits that use the ICs you mentioned, they all use a relay for switching between side A and B.

this will consume too much of my power holding the relay coil for 3 hour periods.

ideally the 2 outputs from these ics should light leds, not a relay that toggles back and forth.

will keep looking and see what i can find

cheers again guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back