Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

On my off road vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinarfi

On my off road vehicle, 08 Joyner Trooper, I have installed a engine speed controller that I use as a cruise control to maintain speed, nice thing about it, it does not care about speed, circuit attached. I also have a power steering unit of my own design, but I'm still refining it. Here's the problem, While cruising along with the engine speed controller working just fine controlling my speed, when I turn the steering wheel, engaging the power steering unit, it causes the cruise control to reduce the speed all the way to idle, basically it shuts off until the power steering has finished it's job and returned to idle.
I've tried to decouple with capacitor, but no luck. It's not really a problem, but definitely a curiosity.
Got any ideas as to what's happening?
Thanks, Kinarfi

Attachments

• CRUISE CONTROL 3-15-13 LM2907- 3 555.asc
    10.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 11-01-2013 Power Steering.asc
    23 KB · Views: 169
  • CRUISE CONTROL 20130316 .png
    CRUISE CONTROL 20130316 .png
    98.1 KB · Views: 261
The high current draw of the power steering is perhaps pulling down the 12V supply of the speed controller.
I've tried to decouple with capacitor, but no luck.
Try feeding the speed controller 12V line via a diode and use a few-hundred-uF cap from the diode cathode to ground. That should hold up the 12V.

The high current draw of the power steering is perhaps pulling down the 12V supply of the speed controller.
Try feeding the speed controller 12V line via a diode and use a few-hundred-uF cap from the diode cathode to ground. That should hold up the 12V.
So, what your saying is that the power steering is pulling the voltage down enough to effect the cruise control, right?, if that's the case, maybe a larger cap is in order to keep the voltage to the R/C servo up is in order.
Thanks

I doubt the 5V servo supply is dropping. Isn't that derived from a voltage regulator? I think it's the pulse generator creating the servo pulses which needs a more stable 12V supply.

I looked at the cruise control and it has caps in it, but I could test ib because I rebuilding the power steering control and trying to put some feed back in to pull the current back down at the end of travel and also limit the current. When you're in 4wd and front and rear lockers are engaged, it doesn't want to turn on pavement and when you try to turn, the current sky rockets and takes out FETs and fuses.
If you're interested here's the new design,
I've been playing with ratiometric hall effect and cut a slot in a toroid core and put a Honeywell SS495A in the slot, glued it, and ran some current through the the core, works well, cool.

Attachments

• 2013-11-13 POWER STEERING.asc
    19 KB · Views: 155
Instead of starting new threads for every question or comment, I have decided to just hyjack this thread for every question, is this good or bad???
I have 3 voltages/signals that I need to combine, I'm using a VCC of 10 and trying to have everything operate around 5, the first input is the controlling signal and has 5 as it's center and the second is the feed back signal and centers on 2.5 by design, I can wire it so feed back is 2.5 + feed back or 2.5 - feed back, then I need to subtract the 2.5 which makes for the 3rd voltage. I've tried to simulate several methods, but just not sure what works most reliably. There are difference amplifiers and inverting and non-inverting summing amplifiers shown in several places, but nothing for adding 2 and subtracting 1.
Any suggestions? I don't have a - voltage that I can add, every thing is above 0. here's what I have, attached

Thanks,
Kinarfi

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 242
  • 2013-11-13 POWER STEERING.asc
    18.6 KB · Views: 199
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips