Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old Radio Shack P-Box Schematics

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokepoker

This website has schematics and instructions for most of the old P-Box Radio Shack kits available.

**broken link removed**

Ahh..back in the day when Radio Shack sold the good stuff.

Only problem is many of the designs use 2SB54 Germanium transistors. I have a very small supply of these available if you are dying to build one of the projects then send me a pm and you can have for postage. First come, first serve, as I only have just a few extra. You can also get these from old RS 100-1 kits, and many old transistor radios will have Ge transistors in them. Look for long silver cans with 2SB and a lower number. The projects all work quite well for as simple as they are. Of particular interest is the simple WWV time signal receiver and three transistor shortwave. Neon Goofy lights is another one of my favorites. Check out the cool little HV supply it uses and how it uses the neon bulbs as reflex oscillator. If you need a substitute for a loopstick for the radio projects, you can use the ferrite rod and coil from a AM radio, just slide the rod in and out of the coil to tune. Unwind a few turns and add a tap if necessary. You can engineer some type of threaded rod tuning mech. if you want to really get fancy or even wind a loopstick form from kraft paper and glue with a nut in the end and wind your own coil on it. You can use the varicap from the radio too..just add the two sections together. Most AM radios have 60pf/160pf varicaps in them. The two sections only add up to 220..ones used in the plans are 365pf but you can add a fixed capacitor to switch in to get the full range. You can find radios to salvage at thrift stores.

If anyone wants to redesign the Shortwave or the WWV to use silicon transistors and possibly come up with a substitute for the crystal in the WWV receiver, would be very interested to see the new versions. I just don't understand enough about the diff between Si and Ge transistors to do it myself (yet).

I have very fond memories of building these kits when I was much younger. They are really well engineered designs. I wish RS still sold stuff like this. Now they are afraid if you burn your finger with a soldering iron you will sue them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back