Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old parts help me identify

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoltec

I have some old electronic parts that I don't know what they are.
Anyone know? Plus are they worth saving or should I toss them.
Thanks

Attachments

• Line Ballast2a.jpg
    Line Ballast2a.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 191
  • thing5a.jpg
    thing5a.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 209
  • Diode1 (500 x 375).jpg
    Diode1 (500 x 375).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 194
The right hand picture is a pile of metal rectifiers.
Yeah those are selenium diodes. Not sure about other two but seems like I've seen them somewhere. I would save them if you have room. You could put them on E-bay and see if they sell. Maybe someone has some old equipment they need to fix.

That one in the middle now. I know I've seen that. Just can't place it. I do believe it is a mechanical part. The one on the left looks like it has two pins. Probably another diode.

Last edited:
The one on the left is a line ballast (WW resistor?). :D
The middle one looks like a solenoid.
The ones on the right are selenium rectifiers as already mentioned.

Last edited:
The one on the left is a line ballast (WW resistor?). :D
The middle one looks like a solenoid.
The ones on the right are selenium rectifiers as already mentioned.

hi,
I'll go with that assessment.

Warm water resistor??:confused:

Robert-Jan

I also feel some sort of warmer resistors like the ones used in bakery to keep products at a standard temperature, and shielded for safety. doesn't appear to be a solinoid. it is a mountable warmer resistor perhaps

The 'line ballast' was used in old AC radios to reduce the line voltage to the value required by the series string of filaments.

The 'line ballast' was used in old AC radios to reduce the line voltage to the value required by the series string of filaments.
Oh ! So big and an encased resistor ? perhaps it is used in some countries. the radios we saw including Philips and Murphy were having open resistor mounted vertically.

I have some old electronic parts that I don't know what they are.
Anyone know? Plus are they worth saving or should I toss them.
Thanks

Can you measure them with an ohmmeter? That should narrow down the possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back