Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old oscilloscope not measuring frequency accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerbertMunch

Hi,
Ive just bought an old scope, Fluke pm3082(ebay).
Heres my problem:

The scope has a 2KHZ test oscilator. When i attach a probe to this and use the cursor function to measure the period, the unit can automatically calculate the frequency.
If i position the cursor correctly, it reads off 2.21Khz instead of 2khz.

Anyone know how to resolve this?

Many thanks

There may be no problem at all. Even the kings of oscilloscopes, Tektronix, rarely had a calibrator output that was accurate as far as frequency. Amplitude, yes. Frequency, no. There were one or two models that actually had a tweak for setting the calibrator frequency to exactly 1KHz, but that was very unusual for them. Check your timebase against a known-good frequency source, such as the low voltage output of a mains transformer (60Hz in the U.S., 50Hz in the U.K.) or better yet, the output of a crystal oscillator.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back