Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old non-working Stepper Drive, How do i Find Suitable Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnnewton

Hello,
I have an old Motion Science, Inc. Stepper Drive. It is PN MSFX16006-01, Manufactured in 1991. It has failed, will not move the motor properly. I can purchase a refurbished one, but since I have a bit of time prior to needing it, I would like to attempt a replacement. I have contacted all companies that provide repair services, as well as the company who sells refurbished ones. They have been as unhelpful as possible. It seems that obtaining a datasheet or wiring diagram for this part is impossible. If you were me, and didn't want to purchase a refurbished one just yet, how would you proceed with determining the functionality of a non-working device to the point where a replacement could be specified.

Things I will need:

1. Microstep Resolution: (this is dip switch selectable, but I don't know what the dip switch settings actually mean in terms of steps / rev
2. Bus Voltage: I can measure this.
3. Motor Hookup: There are 4 wires to the stepper, labeled S and C. I believe these to be for SINE and COSINE.
4. There is a DB15 Connector which gets 10 signals (some are probably power / common / gnd) This is the biggest roadblock, and where I'm seeking advice.

I have most basic electronics tools available, voltmeters, oscilloscope, logic analyzer, etc.

Thanks for looking!

Ditto the sentiments from picbits.

That said, you can pick up cheap stepper driver modules from China capable of 3.5 amp coil current (you can also get boards based on these driver IC's for CNC machines)

For example : **broken link removed**

Note that there are two types of these drivers, for differing coil currents.

Guessing the conversion would just be a remapping the db15 to the pins supplied on such a driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back