Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old CRT TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've been looking around for some random projects to put onto my personal statement and CV for when I want to take an electronics engineering course at University next year.

So, I saw my mum chucking out an old CRT TV and grabbed it just in time.

My first thought was harvest it. But then, I remember oscilloscope topics in physics and loved learning about the CRT and oscilloscopes so my second thought was make an oscilloscope out of it.

But, I thought I'd chuck this up to you guys and see if anyone else had any ideas?

The CRT in a TV is not the same as in a oscilloscope.
The O-scope uses plates to deflect the beam while the TV used coils.
The TV's vertical deflection coils are built for 50 to 60 cycle deflection and probably will deflect up to 1khz.
The TV's horizontal deflection is built for 15khz and could work to 150khz.
The coils deflect basted on current not voltage! So you need to build voltage to current amplifiers.
The O-scope deflects on voltage and the amplifiers are simple.

To summarize what ronsimpson said, trying to build a usable oscilloscope from a CRT TV is not practical. The only real similarity between a CRT TV and a CRT oscilloscope is that they both use a type of CRT for display.

I've used digital oscilloscopes that used coil deflection CRTs. However, the CRT for a digital 'scope is just a display for the computer, so all the sampling and storage is done at high speed in the electronics, with the display happening much more slowly.

If you were going to make a digital 'scope, you might as well use an LCD monitor like all the new digital 'scopes do.

Ahh okay, I suppose I'll have to look into it more. To be honest I think harvesting the components will be alright anyway. It's just I've seen a lot of post around the internet on CRT TV oscillators. Oh well, thanks for the help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back