Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old Crt monitor problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecritic

I have an old CRT monitor (14"). The problem is that it flickers too much.
It becomes almost silent if I hit it good on the sides or Top, but after some time it starts all over again. I hope this much information is enough for you to guess where the problem lies.
[Flicker: the brightness oscillates high and low with no definite frequency and bright horizontal lines moves and rushes up and down)

My advice is to take it to a recycling depot and get rid of it. I don't know much about how much technology surplus there is in Kathmandu, but CRT monitors in working order are essentially free these days as businesses and individuals can't even give them away easily. Just ask around for a replacement, for free. If you were here in my city, I'd give you one of the old ones that I've got. Repairing one is much more effort than finding a used one that works fine.

Last edited:
Repairing one is much more effort than finding a used one that works fine.
In your place, not mine.
The reason I posted in this sub-forum is to get repairing Advices, not to listen to how things are in your place.. And moreover, I would like to learn.

Try this link for a good troubleshooting and repair guide: Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Computer and Video Monitors

My guess, given that the thing settles down after a good whack, is that you just have some broken/cold solder joints. Read the information at the link above (ESPECIALLY the safety information: Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Computer and Video Monitors ) and if you feel you can do it safely, you should be able to locate and reflow any broken solder joints. A 14" CRT is probably old enough that the electrolytics are starting to go so you might want to look into replacing them too.

If you follow this advice, you of course do so at your own risk. :) A CRT can give you a pretty good bite if you're not careful.

Good luck,

Torben

In your place, not mine.
The reason I posted in this sub-forum is to get repairing Advices, not to listen to how things are in your place.. And moreover, I would like to learn.

I agree with you thecritic

I have learn't the hard way that this forum has members that consider themselves superior and simply toss stuff I repair on a daily basis on a dump.

The stuff I repair daily earns me my keep.

Until Africa catches up....I shall continue doing reliable repairs on what I know. Namely CRT TV's and Monitors.

Cheers

Almost forgot....Torben is 100% correct with his advise above.

Last edited:
It becomes almost silent if I hit it good on the sides or Top, but after some time it starts all over again. I hope this much information is enough for you to guess where the problem lies.
[Flicker: the brightness oscillates high and low with no definite frequency and bright horizontal lines moves and rushes up and down)

I agree with the others, you're probably looking at bad solder joints.
Although you might not necessarily be able to visually spot them.
Have a 17 inch that I had to pretty much just go through and reflow
the entire main board before all the little quirks it was having finally disappeared.

Your crt monitor vertical section is faulty....The problem is vertical feed back is not reached at IC try to do this

1. Check capacitor in the vertical section
2. Check feed back resistors and transistors.
3. Check vertical IC.
4. Check vertical supply& filter capacitor.

5. Finally the above matters are ok then replace vertical oscillator IC

Dear freind,
I know you have a bad solder joint. That explains why it reacts when you hit it. ;)

-Ben

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back