Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old Computer Mouse into a Tachometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

theruss007

I am wanting to turn an old computer mouse into a tachometer. Basically a rpm meter. I have googled it, and have had no luck finding any useful info. It isnt a usb mouse, but I believe it is called a PS2 connector. The connector is green has a raised image of a mouse and has 6 leads. A link to a web site on how to do this would be nice.

P.S. It is also a HP brand if that helps. The mouse also has a 16 pin chip on it with a number in big (10300001200)and small(034578714) numbering.

Are you planning to dismantle the mouse and use the optical encoding discs directly?

Last edited:
I still dont get what I have to do. I know that I am goin to use the optical encoding disk, but how do I interface it with a computer. Do I simply plug the mouse in and download some software, and thats it or do I have cut out the the rest of the mouse or what.What do I do? The link you showed me showed how to replace the tiny mouse ball with a larger version . Thats not what I need I want to discard the ball, use the disk with the IR Led and Ir sensor to read how pulses and turn that into rpm.

After doing a little more research I think I will use my Basic Stamp 2's pulsin comand to count the pulses. I will use the the disk inside the mouse and most likely the IR Led and the Phototransistor in it. If any one knows any advice on how to program it would be helpful.

More options

This might meet your needs including software. I have tried this one an it "kinda" worked but the "top speed" you can measure seems to be very dependent on the mouse.
Sci-Spot.com - Dynamometer

I moved onto a different approach using a magnet and coil pickup system. Details and software are available at:
Home (SimpleDyno)

There is also a guy using a reed switch with this software and it seems to be working okay.

@Vizier87 - I'd love to see a tach circuit like the one you refer to (if it could be connected to a PC for logging data).

Sorry not quite what I am looking for. But thanks though. I only want rpm. I think I am getting closer to what info I need.I have confidently figured out how to setup the Ir part of it along with the gear that creates the pulses. I still plan on using the Basic Stamp 2 to do it on with the debugging tool. I just dont know how to program it. I know a few commands but I dont know enough to do what I want.

Oh also the phototransistor on the mouse has three leads. Why. I read somwhere that it is only there in case you want to use it as a regular transitor. Is this corect? If so/if not what pin does what. I believe one is the emiter, one is the colector. But as I already asked what is the third. which one is which any way.?

I could be wrong, but I think in modern mice the detector side as two detectors to help with direction sensing.

Let me know if you want to revisit the magnet / coil pickup approach - I can modify the software to just report RPM.

I could be wrong, but I think in modern mice the detector side as two detectors to help with direction sensing.
Yes sure. Each optical encoding disc (OED) has two detectors atached.

Pretty much like this:
**broken link removed**

Exept that inside a mouse, both detectors can be inside one detector (sender + receiver). Eg. looks like one part.

Here's a little link may be a good idea to read:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
@Vizier87 - I'd love to see a tach circuit like the one you refer to (if it could be connected to a PC for logging data).

A tacho circuit without the interface to a PC can be found in the datasheet of LM2917. To a PC.. well that's another story. If it is not strictly on a PC-based indication, the chip itself outputs an rpm versus voltage relation, among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back