Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old 280z clock repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

pphantom

Hopefully someone can help me with this circuit. Mine had two 10uf caps instead of the 10 and 22 and I replaced both. I couldn't find a 22nf locally so I didn't change it. I replaced the transistor with NTE199 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002FRNQC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 and made sure all the pins matched up.
When powered it creates enough magnetic force to start the pendulum, but it doesn't seem to oscillate. It seems to keep pulling with a weak force so the pendulum swings back and forth less and less until it stops with magnets near the coil. Remove the power and it lets go to a neutral position again. Loosening the spring seems to make it last a little longer, but it still stops. I am not good enough with electronics to figure this out and I only have a multimeter not a scope. What should I be looking for and could the 220nF be my problem? Did I buy the wrong transistor? Would a 22uF work better than 10?

Attachments

• clockcircuit.jpg
    clockcircuit.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 325
  • clock photo.jpg
    clock photo.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 361
  • clock board.jpg
    clock board.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 335
  • clockworks.jpg
    clockworks.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 314
The transistor you used NTE199 for replacing the 2SC828 is probably ok. They both have C on the centre and B on the right. The 10uF looks like NP (non-polarity) type. Did you replace it with the same type?

BTW, are you sure it is electrical problem and NOT mechanical? May be the pivots just need same lubricant...

Allen

The picture is of a similar clock, but not my exact one. As I stated mine has two 10uF, but this picture had a 22uF. I bought non polarity caps to replace the original polarity ones. I'll check the pivot points. Maybe it is just a really fragile pendulum system and the slightest friction is slowing it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back