Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

old 12v dc phone and device chargers/adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

officework13

thanks to all who may be able to assist me. i am new to this forum and would be a liar if i said i was anything more than a beginer electronics hobbiest. however, i do understancd some basic concepts of electronics and can solder, which does nothing more than make me a dangerous electrician.
So, after several years, i have accumulated many different 12volt chargers/adapters for phones, mp3 players, fm transmitters, cameras, etc. and each one seems to have a different plug in adapter (for the applicable device). and i believe they all indicate the output (i.e. 9v, 600ma).
Here are a few questions which i will number, so if you respond to a particular one you can indicate which number it applies to. (note i am trying to power a 9V, 500ma device and my powersource is a 12V 5ahr gel cel battery)

1. using a fully charged battery and using the full power draw of the device, how long will the battery last. (i am thinking 10 hours - in the most simplistic way 5000/500=10).
2. if i have a 12 volt converter/charger that has an output of 9V 600ma, will this be adequate to run the d evice.
3. what happens if the if 12 volt converter/charger had an output of 9v, but the amp output was either higher or lower (i.e. low-400ma high 1.5amps). i expect the device will not work with the low and possibly fry the device with the high). if this is so, could i put an inline fuse in to prevent it from frying the device. what size fuse would i use.
4. to recharge this 12V gel cel battery in the field (from my vehicle could i simply plug a lighter socket plug in and attach the 2 wires to the 12 V gel cel battery. will it overcharge or just equalize to a max of 12-13volts.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back