Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

okay....i hope i make sense......

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdjkatx

I'm currently working on a project, please keep in mind I have no exper nor knowledge in this field. I've been on a "crash course" for the past 4 hours and this is what i've come up with.....

https://www.redcircuits.com/Page85.htm is what i want to create. A led circuit for my tail lamps on my car.

The circuit diagram listed only had 12 LEDS, but my setup has 30 LEDS.

LED spec that I will be using
Super brite LED
20mA
3v

My questions about this parallel setup......

1. will resistor "R1" still be the same?
2. what are the values for "R2" and "R3"? (If i'm correct, r2+r3= brake current=brighter)
3. will transistors remain the same or different?
4. will i need anymore transistors because i'm adding 18 more LEDS?
5. Switches "sw1" and "sw2"....How would i hook this circuit up to my tail lamp? the tail lamp has 3 wires: RED(POWER), BLACK(GROUND),GREEN/WHITE(BRAKE)

It will look something like so

o o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o

xdjkatx said:
1. will resistor "R1" still be the same?
Your LEDs are 3.0V each. Then six in series requires 18V which you don't have.
Use seven rows of 4 LEDs in series.
Then each row is 6mA or 20mA. Seven rows of 20mA is a total of 140mA which is more than double the 60mA max in the project.
Then most of the parts will need their values changed for the more than double the current.

2. what are the values for "R2" and "R3"? (If i'm correct, r2+r3= brake current=brighter)
The formula for the little transistors is R= 0.6/I. So for 6mA x 7 use 14.3 ohms and for the additional 14mA x 7 use 6.12 ohms.

3. will transistors remain the same or different?
Q2 might melt with your higher current so use a power transistor like a TIP31.
Also reduce the value of R1 to about 2.2k.

4. will i need anymore transistors because i'm adding 18 more LEDS?
No. Just a more powerful transistor for Q2 and a reduced value for its base resistor.

5. Switches "sw1" and "sw2"....How would i hook this circuit up to my tail lamp? the tail lamp has 3 wires: RED(POWER), BLACK(GROUND),GREEN/WHITE(BRAKE)
I don't know how your bulbs are now wired. Connect this circuit the same.

It is against the law to tamper with lighting on a motor vehicle. You need to have the correct brightness and beam angle. Your LEDs might not be bright enough and probably have an angle much too narrow.

audioguru said:
It is against the law to tamper with lighting on a motor vehicle.

Audioguru, Ontario Motor Vehicle Act does not apply outside Ontario. Pls realise that Tranna is not the centre of the universe.

I didn't know that the law in Hongcouver allows kids to put their own dim lights on their cars and motorcycles.

I am not slurring. I was raised in Vancouver before it became Hongcouver.
I think it was the threat of China taking over Hong Kong that made them all come.

I didn't make-up this pie-chart of visible minorities in Vancouver. Now it looks a lot different from when I lived there.

Attachments

• Visible_Minorities_of_Vancouver.png
    Visible_Minorities_of_Vancouver.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 315
pulsating led project

considering that i'm new to circuits, would it be too hard to add ic555 timers to my circuit? My goal is to make the brake lights pulsate a couple of seconds before they stay constant.

i know that it would involve timers and capacitors but i'm just wondering if i'm biting off more then i can chew considering that i'm a noob.

something similar to this https://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/automotive/002/

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back