Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oh no, LabVIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

Well I've been reassigned at work, I'm now working on designing a simulator for some locomotives. (I have an internship at General Electric Transportation systems.) I'm now required to learn LabVIEW.
So does anyone know of some good tutorials or just general info on how to use it?

hi jeff

nice to see you again. have you been busy?

the first place to check is google. there are lots of online tutorials for labview. and in addition to those tutorials there are plenty of books for labview.

Analog Electronics with LabVIEW
Image Acquisition and Processing with LabVIEW
LabVIEW Graphical Programming
LabVIEW GUI: Essential Techniques
LabVIEW: Advanced Programming Techniques

search on amazon for excrepts and table of contents from the books

labview really is a great tool. it make some really fine looking reports and it supports a great range of data acquisition boards

i hope that helps

Thanks for the reply bryan, for some reason I didnt even think of google. :oops: That tutorial does look pretty good, I'll have to give it a try.

Hi Sam, glad to 'see' you again too, (we never really 'see' each other though :) ). Yes I've been quite busy. School is done for the summer, and I'm working full time here at GE. I've been so busy, I havent had time to browse and post here on Electro-tech. Work takes priority over Electro-tech only because they pay me. :)
I'll have to look into buying a book on it, or maybe I'll ask around and see if any of my coworkers already have books on it. I'm hoping for possibly a cheap, if not free solution.

Thanks again for the replys.

Oh and I'm finally done using that 'pillow' of a text book too. :lol:

You could also contact your local LabView distributor, ours runs frequent free hands on tutorials at their place and I also got the tutorial manual and a free CD that runs the full LabView program for 30 days to take back to work. I played around with that until it expired, quite a neat program but its a bit late for me to get too involved with it since I'm retiring next year :lol:
Klaus

I love Labview. It's a bit intimidating when you start out but once you get the idea you can do really powerful things really easily.

The online help in labview is quite good. Just spend a bit of time placing various blocks and clicking on them to get the context help menus (Labview 7.1. In ealier versions you have to right click to get the help stuff). The context menus will tell you the inputs and outputs for the block and what it does.

The debug feature is really useful too. Get some sample apps from NI's website and turn on the debug feature (one of the buttons in the toolbar). It will show you the signals as they flow through the block diagram. This will help you get a handle on the dataflow programming and how the execution flows through the block diagram.

I read a bit - a book will help you get some of the basic building blocks (for and while loops, shift registers etc.) - but I learned the most by downloading samples from NI's site.

The NI staff is quite helpful. If you have a support contract use it. If you don't, convince your supervisor that you should get one. Its great to be able to call up and have them tell you how to do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back