Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Off Page/Global net connectors in Eagle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsMike

Hey guys,

I'm trying to make a multipage design in Eagle and I can't seem to find any way of doing Off Page connectors.
I could also use "In page connectors" (i.e global connectors).

I tried to use the "supply" library but it changed the net name "+5v" or the supply chosen.

Is there any way around it ?

There's no generic 'IN' 'OUT' label you cal place on a node? There has to be something.

Hi ItsMike,

I did not entirely understand your problem (language barrier).

May be this is your issue:

I sometimes use several sheets in the schematic editor (limited to one sheet on the free Eagle version) to design a circuit. That way I avoid using DIN-A3 or larger paper size which generally has to reduced to fit DIN-A4 format for most printers. Symbols and numbers (part names and values) become almost unreadable.

When designing a circuit I label the nets according to their function with a logical name, e.g. "R\W", "D4", etc. The nets need to be long enough to look clean with the label on top or besides them.

On the next sheet the nets will have the same names.

So you don't need a physical connection of pins within the same net.

Switching to board you'll see them connected as intended.

Connecting two boards with on board connectors like box headers to connect an LC-display off board, but without physical connection between boards (air wires) I recommend to use the same net names for the schematic without really connecing two box headers.

Placing the connectors opposite you might connect the on-board connector to the in-outputs as desired. Name all nets for the connector. Draw short nets to the second connector and name them the same way used for the on-board connector.

Then switch to board and rename the off-board connector by adding a number (or letter), e.g. from "R\W" to "R\W1" and "D4" to "D41". Eagle will ask you if the entire net should be renamed. Just rename that one net!

Now the two connectors are physically separated but you'll have an error free schematic and board design.

Eagle annotates forward and backwards and this is an occasion to use that feature.

I should have done this when I designed an air conditioning controller for two fans with 3-speed connections, a total of six water valves and 24 keys to switch devices as desired. :(

The project consists of three PCBs with two of them turning out to be junk because of the wrong order of connected pins on the PCB-connectors.

If you intend to use different supply nets you must use different devices, e.g. VDD, VDD1, GND, GND1 etc. Eagle will then "understand" that there is no physical connection.

Running out of supply devices you can easily create a new device, e.g. VDD5. Use any VDD symbol and copy it. Then click symbol <NEW> and type "VDD5". Then paste the symbol. Change the name from "VDD" to "VDD5" and allso rename the pin from "VDD" to "VDD5" (Important!!!).

Save the symbol and next select "DEVICE" <NEW>. Select VDD5 out of the list of symbols and drop it. You don't have to connect a pin and a pad since that device has no package!

Voila.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back