Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OFF-ON-OFF Switch (NC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm working on upgrading a piece of hardware at work, and it has switches that need to be replaced. I've been asked to source switch that, in the center position, has both contacts enabled, and when switched to either side opens one set of contacts. Basically the inverse of a plain SPDT toggle switch.

I've been having a fair amount of difficulty finding something like this, but if I hook a normal SPDT toggle up to a couple inverters, it would work. Problem being I need 7 of these switches, and that would be a lot of little inverter circuits.

The switches are meant to simulate NC limit switches for different axis of travel. So the switch in the "off" position is like having both limit switches de-activated (closed, connected), and flipping the switch to one position or the other is like activating one limit switch or the other (open, not connected).

Ideas? Thanks!

EDIT Ive just been informed that it HAS to be switches-only - no additional logic.

Last edited:
Do they need to be toggle switch type design?

For applications like this I buy a 22mm or 30mm selector operator (they come in maintained or momentary or variations thereof) and build the operator up using switch contact blocks made for the operator. When I say operator here is an example of an operator. If you read this data sheet you will get an idea of what the finished switch would look like. The common sizes for switches like this are 22mm and 30mm, the merit is you can build up just about anything you want. Beyond using an operator and building switch blocks I am not aware of any common toggle switch design that will give you what you are after. Also, the links are just an example. Switches like this are made by a dozen or more manufacturers.

Just My Guess :)
Ron

Ron,

Those look cool! I will have to keep that link around for some side projects..

Unfortunately those will not work in my application. We have a test rig that the switches have to go in, and I'm replacing the little mini 1/4" collar-type ones, so those would be too big. I appreciate the effort though!

I believe the NKK switch part# S201(or2)6S###### is what you are after. Where to get it, I don't know! E

It appears the solution (after a while of hitting my head against the desk) is to use an ON-ON-ON switch. Wired a certain way, it will do exactly what I need.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back