Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Odd led question I hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixelsnPrint

Ok I know there are all sorts of posts about blinky and flashing circuits on this and other forums using Lm3909 and 555 chips. But what I'm looking for is a way to mimic an actual perceived strobe effect.. that being an led starts in the off state there is a sudden on state then a fall off state to full off again does that seem possible. What I'm trying to mimic here is the after glow one would perceive from a strobe, I'm working on some large scale miniature work and I am trying to have some differences between some of the flashes that are required.

Tia

Richard

I am guessing that when you say "fall off" and "afterglow" then you mean for the brightness to fade slowly after each bright pulse?

yes I was trying to come up with a way to properly describe it, guess you could use the terms of attack and decay so the voltage graph would look like a right angle triangle. Is that clear as mud now?

A transistor can quickly charge a capacitor then the capacitor is slowly discharged by a resistor. The voltage across the resistor will rise quickly then fall slowly. An emitter-follower transistor can "follow" the capacitor's voltage and dim an LED in series with a current-limiting resistor.
The LED might dim a little then suddenly turn off because the voltage ramp should be a current ramp which takes a 3rd transistor.

That seems to make some sense, but as to designing it. Ya this is the place where I hit you up for additional help :) don't ya know

What is the voltage and current ratings of the LED?
What battery voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back