Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

odd filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styx

I am auditing a cct at work atm and there is this cct arrangement

Sorry I don't have actual value's atm (at home now) but I just dont reconise this topology. Tried to break the cct down to work out its cut-off but was having a hard time.

Anyone reconise a filter like this? it is a 2nd-order that much I know

Attachments

• filter.png
    filter.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 267
It is similar to a single opamp bandpass filter. It has the same input resistor as the "standard" bandpass filter, except its other resistors and capacitors are swapped in their positions.

Attachments

• filters.gif
    filters.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 239
mmm yer I can see that now, but this most definitly is not a band-pass filter.

Where this filter is found is in a motor-drive of the position feedback signals

position feedback: SIN/COS are generated in the electrical machine, the freq of which is equal to the mechanical freq. This SIN/COS is digitised and via CORDIC function within an FPGA position & velocity are calculated.

speed-range is: +/-15,000rpm (inc zero with an accuracy of 30rpm).

Now the problem is in doing some drive-tuning we are getting position-lag that is screwing up the tuning (phas advance and all that).

So I look at the SIN/COS feedback and on SIN there is two of these filter (one after another, different component values) and then two R-C low-pass networks (with a buffer between) - same on COS

3ppl have gone over this arrangement and we couldn't reconsise or calc the cutoff (network problems so all the OrCAD/SABER/MATLAB licenses were unavailable)

Just seems odd, some excessive filtering which isn't helping the performance as well a 4, one after another??

oh well ill wait until mon and run it through a sim get the cut-off

thanks

--EDIT--
Got it!!!

nothing like google for "active filter" and then look at "images"

**broken link removed**

2nd order lRC active low-pass filter, now to find hte equation

--EDIT 2--

Got it!!!
**broken link removed**
good paper on filters

Status