Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

object detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrnebox

I need to count balls as they roll through an opening. I was thinking about using IR beam sensors. But I can not find good documentation of how to build a circuit to hook them up to a computer, so that i could interface it with software. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Does it have to interface to a computer? You could build a stand alone circuit with a display to show the count.

Last edited:
IR LED emitter, and an IR phototransistor, wired just as a DC beam-break circuit will work over a distance of several inches. If it has to work in sunlight, use a chopper to modulate the beam, and use an AC-coupled amplifier on the other end. There are hundreds of commercial units out there similar to this

Ya it needs to hook up the a computer. The deal I need to do is I need to track a ball rolling in one hole. Then I need to use a algorithm to figure out if it goes through the next hole in a certain amount of time, and if not it needs to increment a counter.

I hope that makes some sense?

Any ideas for a circuit that will work with a computer?

James

I need to count balls as they roll through an opening. I was thinking about using IR beam sensors. But I can not find good documentation of how to build a circuit to hook them up to a computer, so that i could interface it with software. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Many simple 'pin ball' machines use sensitive microswitches to detect rolling/falling balls.

Use either the parallel port or the serial CTS/RTS lines on your PC to input the 5V logic signal from the microswitch to your program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back