Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OBD2 Reader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hello,

Anyone here ever make their own obd2 reader?
The protocol looks similar to RS232 for some vehicles.

If you buy the software, I believe each has different features which require key codes to unlock the different data sets. But the code is security by obscurity and not that secure.

**broken link removed**

It's starting to look like a zoo out there. Some interpreter IC's are here. No really standard anymore. CAN is taking over.

One quick/dirty and cheap OBD scanner is a convert the OBDII connector to Blutooth and use the android app Torque.
Another quick and dirt method is to use Autozone read the codes or make a deposit to borrow the tool.

That said, I do have Torque, but I bought a scanner. It does open up some options, but a better scan tool that capable of reading
ABS let me know that:

1. Ignore code because you operated the car on gravel.
2. You can check O2 Sensors. They are not in the nicest areas to replace. Probably on purpose.

But, when it comes to re-programming a Body Control Module, your out of luck again, Even the pros contract out.

The whole digital aspect of vehicles is a scam of HUGE proportions.

Just to plug in the cable is (locally) 75 bucks. For ANY update/mod/reset etc. it's an additional 100 UP.

When my radio/CD for the '01 V70 died, I installed a re-man. The dash lights for it wouldn't come on. The ECM had panicked (Alert, Alert!. Foriegn component!!!). The radio/CD worked but the dash lights and LCD back-lights didn't work so, essentially the thing was useless as far as my wife was concerned.

The car also had steering wheel mounted controls for volume and "Mode", which also didn't work, but I didn't care about that since when they DID work (don't know why they originally quit), I constantly hit them (changing stations, whatever) with my hand just by steering.

Anyway, it cost me $200 (and about 5 minutes) for the Volvo Dealer (NOBODY else could do it) to download whatever miniscule data that was needed to make it work. Of course, now the wheel controls work again as well and I'm back to old unexpected radio changes. :meh:.

And don't get me started on how "OnStar" and the like can be (and have been) hacked. That is scary... :banghead:.

I still own one analog car. Sure, the mileage sucks, but I can start it, if need be, by pushing it... and nobody knows that I'm on the road.

CBB said:
I still own one analog car. Sure, the mileage sucks, but I can start it, if need be, by pushing it... and nobody knows that I'm on the road.

Extremely funny - The Analog Car

I MIGHT be able to direct to a source if I need to in the future. The source the shops use.

But, the insurance goes up digitally every year.

Hi,

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I ended up buying a unit so i can start testing with it right away, but i may still look into creating a new design for my personal use. I found that my car is very limited however on what it will display anyway, so im not sure where i will go with this. For one, it does not have a CAN bus.
I'll have to look some of this stuff up i guess just to find out what the heck it is.
My older car never had this junk and they used a 'probe' to test the emissions. This newer car wont even test the components with its own computer without some sort of strange driving regime. Sounds like it bites really bad. I may have to drive this thing under controlled conditions for some 6 miles, then let cool down, then repeat. Very strange.

MrAl:

One you reset a vehicle,the OBD system has to complete a "driving cycle" before the computer gives emissions a green flag. What that means, essentially, is that you can have emissions testing until that cycle is complete.

It usually consists of "warm up" and some steady state driving at constant speed. The "driving cycle" has been outlined in some service manuals.

The SAE sells the OBD documentation. For GM vehicles the TechII scanner is the "gold standard". It runs in the thousands of dollars and it can download firmware, set options and simulate signals. The TechII is being replaced and will basically require either a month subscription or 3-day passes for stuff like firmware updates. Access to security related stuff may require "real world" credentials.

A friend of mine at work has a Bluetooth OBDII device he uses with a smartphone app (not sure if it's Torque). It works great. Said it cost him like $15USD. Do a web search for "ELM327".

MrAl:

One you reset a vehicle,the OBD system has to complete a "driving cycle" before the computer gives emissions a green flag. What that means, essentially, is that you can have emissions testing until that cycle is complete.

It usually consists of "warm up" and some steady state driving at constant speed. The "driving cycle" has been outlined in some service manuals.

The SAE sells the OBD documentation. For GM vehicles the TechII scanner is the "gold standard". It runs in the thousands of dollars and it can download firmware, set options and simulate signals. The TechII is being replaced and will basically require either a month subscription or 3-day passes for stuff like firmware updates. Access to security related stuff may require "real world" credentials.

Hi,

I think what you meant to say is that you "can't" have emissions testing until the cycle is complete?

This is all fairly new to me because my last cars never had this stuff. Quite nutty to say the least :)
I have a scanner now but i still might look into this more to find out about building a better one.

I just found this one: https://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/toad/

Unfortunately, it doesn't read ABS/SRS codes. My hand-held will. I had one set when I drove on gravel, so it eventually goes away. The tire pressure monitor is ABS/SRS too, but that code can be reset through the radio in a GM car.

I got this (Innova 31603) **broken link removed** scanner, but I could never get it to link to the laptop even with help. I also found a bug in one of their codes. Wrong description.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I am going to ask another question about a related topic in a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back