Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

O.e.m operating system software

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hi,

Has anyone installed and used Windows 7 OEM software? I have read that it requires a special download of a preinstall program or something.

I also found out that once you install it with a certain model motherboard, you can never move it to another computer or to another motherboard even in the same box unless it is the same model motherboard (as in a repair).

Very strange rules apply it seems.

Half the cost of the retail version.

Hi,

Has anyone installed and used Windows 7 OEM software? I have read that it requires a special download of a preinstall program or something.

I also found out that once you install it with a certain model motherboard, you can never move it to another computer or to another motherboard even in the same box unless it is the same model motherboard (as in a repair).

Very strange rules apply it seems.

Half the cost of the retail version.

I have re-instaled onto a different computer.... With no hiccup. Apparently there is an underlying thing about three installations... ie laptop, computer etc.. BUT!!! If you phone them up and tell them you have just changed your graphic card... They give you a new number anyway!!!

Hi Ian,

Thanks much for the info.

But is this with Windows 7 too? I know other op sys's were ok with this.

Also, i am talking about swapping out the motherboard not the graphics card or other item like DVD drive, etc.
Apparently isnt there an issue with a new motherboard?

But you did this with a new computer, so i guess that had a new motherboard then? Just call them?
What do you mean about three installations?

Thanks again.

Ahh! But I phoned THEM before I connected to the internet.... I told them what I had done before they had a chance to comment.... I told them that the icon " Your computers hardware has significantly changed" popped up.. They asked for the OEM number I had, then gave me a authorization number over the phone!!

Unofficially you can install ANY windows op on three machines before they whinge...

Hi again Ian,

Oh ok i did not know that there was a magic number, "3".

The thing is, the info on the web is so mixed up about this. And the license states,
"Install this ONLY if you are a system builder"

And also on the web they state that it can not be used with another motherboard once it is installed AND activated on that motherboard, unless it is an exact replacement as we might find in a repair of the computer, not an upgrade. In fact, they even mention that you can not upgrade. That's strange isnt it, or are you saying you used a trick to get them to allow it?

I do appreciate this information because it's hard to interpret the conflicting views and statements found on the web about this.

Also, what is the grace period now for activation?

Thanks again, as i said this info is impossible to find and also believe on the web.

Hi

I know its cheaper, but i stay away from Oem versions.

There is a win 7 install method you can use to save a little money.

For win 7, buy an upgrade version, then perform a double install... :D

Hi,

Thanks for the replies again.

I have now read that Windows 8 goes back to "allowing" the end user to install their own software like they did with Win XP and maybe Vista, at least in the wording. Perhaps they just forgot to put it into the wording of Win 7 that's all.

I got the System Builders version of Win7 Pro from Amazon. It was only a few dollars more than the pirated copies on eBay, and I felt the headache factor was worth the difference between the OEM and System Builders versions. Nice to know about the magic number 3. My local PC dealer and Microsoft staunchly deny it. I hope you (MrAI) are right about the oversight.

John

Hi John,

What do you mean the OEM or the System Builders version? I thought the OEM was for system builders, are you saying there is another type of version out there too?

They say that you can switch MoBo three times, but with the OEM version i am not sure you can do that as i think that is for one mother board only unless it is a repair which means it has to be replaced with the same model mother board. Maybe if you could prove that you could not get the same one again they might let it go, but they might consider it an upgrade and that's what they dont want. If the mother board is upgraded they want a new purchase of the OEM. But i'll wait for your explanation of the other version if that's what you meant.

Maybe the confusion is all mine. The OEM System Builder version (also known as System Builder (OEM)) is what I got, but it doesn't have any of the earmarks of Dell, HP, etc. This is it: https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Prof...sr=8-1&keywords=windows+7+professional+64+bit

At the time I was looking for it, several eBay sellers had "overstock" or "surplus" versions from the big manufacturers that were sold as OEM versions. Those, if real, were subject to the MoBo specific key (or so I had read). They were about half price. In my reply, I was calling those "OEM". I should have been clearer and referred to them as Dell, HP, etc. versions.

It also appears that eBay has cleaned up some, but not all of the fraud. I actually bought a version from a dealer that looked legitimate for $109. No sooner had my PayPal cleared than I got a full refund. Several days later, the fraudulent copy appeared. It was obviously a fraud. The experience didn't cost me a penny, but the lesson was learned. Amazon was the cheapest, legitimate source I found. From what I read, fraudulent versions will install and seem to work. Then after the 30-day evaluation, they stop. At that point, the seller is gone.

Sorry for adding confusion.

John

Hi again John,

Oh ok, well the versions i was talking about typically sell for about $139 USD and are advertised as OEM. They are not fraudulent copies they are legit, and the only question left was whether or not if someone bought one for use in their own home computer would it be legal. From what everyone says it is legal. But the wording of the license was different than it was with XP so i think that is what the confusion was about. It did not specifically state that "If the user installs it on their own machine then they are the system builder", whereas with XP it did state that it was ok.

But anyway, i also read that the OEM version is only good for one motherboard while the retail version is good for three motherboards barring of course a legit repair on the computer using the same motherboard which would not qualify as an "upgrade" usage. So with OEM one motherboard, and with Retail three motherboard change outs which are considered an upgrade. But they might let you go if you mention that you had a failure of a motherboard and couldnt get a new one of the same type or something like that. That happened to me with a BioStar MoBo that started to die on me as things started to go on it. I didnt need permission though because it was only the second board or something like that.

But i have also read that you have to install the OEM version using a download from Microsoft or something that allows you to "pre install" the software somehow. Did you have to do this or not, and if so, how does that work?
They said you have to register as a "system builder" with them.

They are not fraudulent copies they are legit, and the only question left was whether or not if someone bought one for use in their own home computer would it be legal.

When I had the problem with WLM, I ended up talking to MS service a few times. Each time, the question was, have you purchased within 90 days. My answer was yes, and we proceeded from there. My guess is that the "OEM" of the system builder version means you and me, if we install on our own PC. That tells me that we are completely legal and have a 90-day warranty on the System Builder OEM product. On one occasion, the MS agent linked into Amazon to verify the purchase date.

On the other hand, if you call with a Windows problem on a Dell OEM system, in my experience, you get referred back to Dell. At least that is what happened with Win XP systems. On one occasion, after the Dell warranty, I argued that it was not a Windows problem, but an update problem, and MS gave me a courtesy freebie.

John

Hi,

What does that 90 day warranty mean? That you have 90 days to return it or something?

I believe the 90-day warranty means "free" telephone technical service. After that time, MS charges for tech service. Of course "free" does have the costs of waiting and trying to reach someone you can understand.

John

Hi,

Ok thanks John.

I also looked for the HCL for Win 7 but they made all the links point to the Win 8 HCL now. That's nuts too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back