Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NXP i.MX8 board vs Raspberry Pi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only board I can find with that NXP device is an "Evaluation board".

Evaluation boards are mainly intended for designers/people considering using that CPU, MPU or device in a product, so they can see how it works, test software and decide if it's a good choice, before having PCBs made themselves to build the IC into their end product.

It's a bit like using a Broadcom BCM2711 evaluation board [if one exists] - a special small quantity board from the IC maker - rather than a Pi 4, which is a product from another company, which uses that uses that same MCU, and is produced by the millions.

To speak from personal experience, we have several different evaluation boards for different Microchip PIC MCUs; the boards are relatively expensive, but they allow testing of software and ideas before actually having build any hardware prototypes; a couple of them can accept a dozen or more very different MCUs on small adapter modules.

The end product uses just the same or a similar MCU as a bare IC, that costs a fraction of the development kit price.

The only board I can find with that NXP device is an "Evaluation board".

The end product uses just the same or a similar MCU as a bare IC, that costs a fraction of the development kit price.
What is it in NXP Imx8 Evaluation board that make it so expensive as compared to raspberry Pi 4 board?

I'm interested to know when the NXP board is used in the project.

What is it in NXP Imx8 Evaluation board that make it so expensive as compared to raspberry Pi 4 board?

Production quantities, development boards have small production runs, usually in 'proper' factories in the West. Boards like the PI are mass produced in cheap factories in China.

Probably never, or very rarely - evaluation boards are for evaluating the CPU/MCU/device they contain, to see of it is suitable and appropriate for use in a new design.

The only exception I can think of is if you _must_ use that exact device for some reason - eg. it's specified as part of a university course project - and it's less costly / faster than making a custom board design yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back