Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NVR sound sensor input through Arduino & Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

arduihome21

Hello, thank you for reading this thread!

I am new to arduinos. I would like to have some direction on what to buy for the following project.

I have a Network Video Recording system for surveillance camera. The device has an internal buzzer that will emit a loud "beep" when there is an event.

This NVR is in another room and I sometime don't hear the alarm.

I thought of the following solotion:

Use a sound sensor nearby the NVR and send the input through the cabled network to another room where another buzzer is located.

I would like the following output:

1) mutliple buzzer around the house (more than one)
2) Android notification
3) PC notification
4) RCA output of the alarm through a audio sound system mixer

My question:

What material do I need?
Is there any easier way to do this?

Notes:
I have network cable all around the house, I also have a raspberry pi 3.

Thank you
Regards

I would suggest you first look at your NVR software / manual .
Many such programs have the ability to send out emails or sms when an event is triggered.
Some, even have the ability to activate a signal from an output on this own card or parallel port.

Thank you Wp100.

I already have those setup. SMS is not available. The problem is that the email system works with SMTP forwarding. Most people will use Google Gmail as a private Forwarder is costly. Gmail is not in real time. That means the email alert will come a few minutes after the alarm has been triggered.

As for the parallel port I/O, my NVR model doesn't have those at the back of the unit.

This is the reason I thought of using an Arduino sound sensor nearby the NVR buzzer, to get a close to real time transmission with the "warning beep" of the onboard NVR.

Any thoughts of suggestions?

Thanks

Expect you will get various suggestions on how to get your alarms.

My thoughts would be to pick up the nvrs buzzer, either by direct connection to the circuit, if possible or a basic microphone and amplify the signal to sounders around the house.
I use these internal speakers /sounders on my burglar alarm and they produce a very loud note .

For your remote notification how about an Ardunio SMS, again just need a trigger from the buzzer to activate, or like mine, from a source of different sensors.
If using sms, check what band your coutry is using, many of the cheaper SMS shield/modules only use 2G, some coutries have moved to 3G only.

000172.jpg 000170.jpg 000171.jpg

Hi Wp100, thank you so much for your reply.

I like the idea of the speaker and amplifier. However I am looking to work with arduino to improve my general knowledge in electronic and automation.
I have a need for gas and water sensors as well, so I will use the SMS shield as well eventually once I have a better understanding of arduinos.

Speaking of which, I wanted to ask you if Arduino Uno are standalone microcontrollers? Do you need a server or an external device to control them? I understand that sensors are connected to them along with ethernet shields if needed, so I assume everything is in the box including internal memory that can be wiped out and rewritten if needed?

A very important unanswered I have is: Do each sensors in the different location of my house needs an Arduino Uno or Nano to make them treat data? For example if I have 5 differents sensor points in the house, I need 5 microcroller either Uno or Nano?

I just bought :
  1. 5 Arduino UNO R3 MEGA328P ATMEGA16U2
  2. 2 DC 5V 4-Mechanical Channel Relays Shield Module For Arduino UNO R3
  3. Breadboard Power Supply Kits with 65pcs Jumper Wire Cable For Arduino Project
  4. 2 AC Power Supply 9V 1A Adapter EU Plug for Arduino UNO
  5. 5PCS T type 9V DC Battery Power Cable Barrel Jack Connector for Arduino
I have the following projects in mind:

Current Projects
Intelligent light switch Relays - Kitchen table light

Gas Sensors / Temperature Sensors - Kitchen Stove / Shower

HDMI Channel auto Switcher (on NVR Warning TV input) - Master Bedroom

NVR Warning beep extension (current thread) - Studio / First floor / Bathroom /

Air Quality Sensor - Garden

Terminal Display - First floor / Library / Studio

Do you think of anything else I should need for development? My parts list is incomplete.

Thanks again!
Regards

A lot of questions and a lot of thoughts you have there, hopefully others will come on in and add their suggestions as I only have a limited knowledge of such things.

The Mega328 Chip is the "micro controller" meaning it is a self contained unit with program memory that can be rewritten, ram memory and eeprom non volatile memory for data storage. The Arduino and Uno are just the names of the company/model who have taken that 328 chip and added other components to produce one of the best developement boards of its era.

The Arduino boards are stand alone devices and can control themselves, its how you want them to communicate with other devices that determines what extra parts /boards , if any, they may need.

Thats a big shopping list you have there, just a couple of points to be aware of.

The 9v for the Arduino is ideal, ( though much of the time you can run from usb power) but be aware that many cheaper wall packs are not fully stabalised and at low power can produce quiet high voltages, Worth checking with a voltmeter, a key device if you do not have one.

The breadboard, while good for making connections etc, but can sometimes give problems with small high speed signals, causing wierd results on your Uno, so jsut be aware of it.

All you projects will be possible, but as you are new you need to take them as separate simple projects.

Without knowing what sensors you are using, its hard to say how they should be interconnected.
Some sensors like the DS18B20 are designed for long diatance wired transmission, other not without extra parts, such as bluetooth, wifi or 433hmz etc
Though I have not used them, be aware that some of the gas sensors need you to calibrate them to produced a ppm output, not an easy task, its down to oicking the right type in the first place.

Thank you for the heads up Wp100.

I have a voltmeter and plan to use it.

I was wondering in my last reply if you had any suggestions on parts I should buy for general development appart from the breadboard, especially for Arduinos and RPi?

Thank you
Regards

if you had any suggestions on parts I should buy for general development appart from the breadboard, especially for Arduinos and RPi?

Thank you
Regards

Well thats a common question and everyone has their own views on that, partly down to cost as well.

My humble take on your current situation; you have got a good goal to aim for in your multifunction project.
However its way to vast and complex for you to handle or for anyone to give meaningful help at your current level of micro knowledge.
I would suggest now is the time to start learning the code using the Arduino Example sketches and doing the basics like Blinking a Led and working up from there.

Everyone hasd their own way to learn, but following a tutorial series like this might help you ?

Break your project down into small managable modules, for example after those basic examples learn how to use a temperature sensors, many around, but the DS18B20 pre wired type is a good one.
As you produce an array of such modules your coding skill will naturally enable you to pull things together into you final project.

As for parts, again its down to personal choice and money.
For modules I would suggest a DS3231 RTC real time clock module and a LCD shield which give you input buttons and a useable screen, both quite cheap on ebay. Do not go for a large tft screen at this stage, stick to a 16x2 or 16x4 unit,

For components form either some local or mail order shop, a small pack of leds, one or two tactile switches and a small mixed pack of resistors.
Lots more you can buy, but that should be obvious to you as you develop.

Great! Thanks again Wp100!

That video series is exactly how I like to learn. I don't read much nowadays, mostly find video tutorials and look through forums asking some help.
You are perfectly right, I don't have much programming knowledge. I just have a very small experience in programming PLC language.

I was looking for ways to use PLC language with Arduinos, it looks like it's not that available yet. Have you tried it yourself or you use the more standard coding for the Arduino (ArduBlock, Snap4Arduino, C#, Python?). Which language would you recommend?

I purchased myself these following your advices:
  • Electronic Parts Pack KIT for ARDUINO Component Resistors Switch Button Top
  • 4 x Arduino DS3231 AT24C32 IIC Module Precision RTC Real Time Clock Quare Memory
  • 1 x LCD 16x4 1604 Character LCD Display Module LCM Blue Blacklight 5V Arduino
  • 4 x 1602 16x2 Character LCD Display Module HD44780 Controller Blue Arduino
In the video tutorial you've attached above, the guy suggest to get a speaker and a motor. I don't think I'll need a motor but I will need a speaker.

I wanted to ask you, could I replace easily the speaker with a buzzer in my student development projects? I won't need audio just a beep.
Would you recommend an active or a passive buzzer for my current project "NVR sound sensor input through Arduino & Ethernet" ?

Thanks.
Regards

I was looking for ways to use PLC language with Arduinos, it looks like it's not that available yet. Have you tried it yourself or you use the more standard coding for the Arduino (ArduBlock, Snap4Arduino, C#, Python?). Which language would you recommend?

Arduino is all about its own language and thats C++, sure you will soon find it easy enough.

You are quick off the mark with parts buying ! :) perhaps hold back a bit now or just order 1 rather than 4 , as you may find as your project grows your hardware needs may take a slightly different route.

A speaker with the Ardunio typically uses a frequency output, a buzzer just needs a port to be on or off, though for either you may need a transistor if its current is more than the Uno port can deliver on its own.

000186.jpg

Thanks Wp.

I'm buying duplicates parts more than needed because I am an expat living in Indonesia and shipping has been less than reliable lately. It takes a month to get anything to here lately. So if anything missing, it will hold back my work. But thanks, I understand what you mean... it ads up in $.

I just bought 4 of those active buzzer:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/261965498039

I took pictures of my NVR buzzer. I wanted to ask you what you think of it?

It was suggested that I solder wires to the contacts and then hook it up to an Arduino.

I can't find any drawing diagrams of the board. The model is DS-7608NI E2/8p.
Here is the manual: **broken link removed**

Still looking for the board drawing...
Cheers.

DSC_1388.jpg DSC_1385.jpg DSC_1383.jpg DSC_1382.jpg DSC_1381.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back