Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

numerical aperture of optical fiber cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,

Can anyone help me out with the numerical aperture of optical fiber cables ?

I want to know the values or the range of values of the numerical aperture of any optical fiber cable ?

Is the value always greater than 1 ??

Thanks in advance..
kavitha

That is a nice link.

Ironically, I just had fiber optic Internet installed and asked the installer some related questions.* The fiber that was used had a "goo" around it, which was removed prior to fusing. The installer mentioned that the cable is also available without the goo.

If the goo was silicone oil (RI = 1.4), then the N.A. would be expected to be <1. But what if the fiber did not have the goo? Then I presume air (RI =1) would be the interface, which would lead to a N.A. of >1.

So, I think to answer Kavitha's question with certainty, one would need to know the construction of the cable.

John

*My question was related to the effects of stress on the glass fiber. The effect of stress on glass is easily visible using a set of polarizing filters. The installer threw out the term, "microkinks," which may be related to that. I have not read much on this, I was just curious based on my prior experience with optics and glass blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back