Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NTSC to PAL conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrballistic

Hi,

I'm looking to design a decent NTSC to PAL converter. I have tried a few off the shelf ones but they dont seem to give you all the lines when I hook it up to a TFT panel.

Any ideas?

You are likely getting all the NTSC lines. The problem is that NTSC has 525 lines and PAL has 625 lines, thus there are 100 blank lines when you convert NTSC to PAL. To fill those in you would need A/D conversion, an interpolation circuit, memory and D/A conversion, to generate the extra 100 lines from the NTSC signal, and that requires significantly extra circuitry that inexpensive home converters don't have. Expensive broadcast type converters probably do.

Thing is I am using a dedicated video overlay module which only works in PAL and the output of the DVD recorder I am using is only NTSC and therefore need to convert (properly) back to PAL so the video overlay module doesnt miss the 100 or so lines out.

I understand analogue TV is dead but this is an embedded legacy product, and requires this little modification.

Thing is I am using a dedicated video overlay module which only works in PAL and the output of the DVD recorder I am using is only NTSC and therefore need to convert (properly) back to PAL so the video overlay module doesnt miss the 100 or so lines out.

I understand analogue TV is dead but this is an embedded legacy product, and requires this little modification.

It's not a 'little modification', it's a highly complicated process - why not just buy an NTSC video overlay module?.

It's the sort of project which might be done as the final year project of a PhD in Electronics.

Hi thanks for that, the module I have does to NTSC as well but is rather aweful at it. I think I will take a look at a better module maybe..

Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back