Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Now that I have a wireless network, how to maintain privacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sram

Hi, I now have this USR 9108 wireless gateway(Router + USB print server + Adsl Modem) and I made a wireless network between my pc and laptop. What things should I do/consider for security?

I don't want anybody to share my wifi signal( I know that some can see me because I see them!, I live in a 20 story building), and don't want anybody to see my files of course. How can I assure all this?

Re: Now that I have a wireless network, how to maintain priv

sram said:
Hi, I now have this USR 9108 wireless gateway(Router + USB print server + Adsl Modem) and I made a wireless network between my pc and laptop. What things should I do/consider for security?

I don't want anybody to share my wifi signal( I know that some can see me because I see them!, I live in a 20 story building), and don't want anybody to see my files of course. How can I assure all this?

Encrypt the Wireless network, there are a number of different standards available, your router and cards should implement 2 or 3 of them - personally I usually use 128 bit WEP. It should all be fully explained in your router and wirelesss card instructions.

It's only a few mouse clicks to do, and the inputting of a password.

Saying that tho I can hack WEP-encypted network in 5min (64bit or 128bit) due to a design-flaw within it

Equally I can crack WPA in 30min
In fact I have all the tools required installed on my system so I can audit my wireless network, there are ways to make it less vuln

WPA2, no crack for yet

Nigel Goodwin said:
Styx said:
Saying that tho I can hack WEP-encypted network in 5min (64bit or 128bit) due to a design-flaw within it

Maybe so, but it's a lot more secure than NO encryption at all!, and extremely easy to turn it on.

Extreamly true! any encyption is better then none.

IF you have no encyption anyone can sniff your network for datapackets (mmm credit card number...), if you have some its only the dodgy ppl like me you gotta worry abt

I now have this USR 9108 wireless gateway

I don't know about that particular model, but mine (Netgear WGR614) has a wireless restriction, based on MAC address - that is, only computers with specified MAC addresses can access the network. Maybe yours supports such a thing too.

EDIT:
Ok, just checked the manual for this model - yes it does have such a feature - under Security / Wireless MAC Filter.

These devices are coming down in price all the time. If you purchase the new variety most if not all have the latest encryption techniques provided. Like it was posted above wpa2 has not been cracked as far as i know. All the latest devices have this feature.

Even styx couldnbt touch you. for the time being anyway.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back