Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Now if I could just plug it in....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstechca

If you think this post is about figuring out how to plug an appliance into a wall, then you are in the wrong place LOL

I have a question (again).

I want my computer to be able to pick up data from my receiver and display it on the screen.

I tried to use a serial port (RS232) and as soon as both the computer and the radio are on, there is some interference. As soon as I connect ONE pin from the serial port to it's correct location in the radio, further interference develops.

For now, I will have to move the radio farther away from the computer and I will have to hook up an extra long cable from the radio to the PC.

Do you think an Ethernet LAN card causes less interference than a serial port?

The following URL shows the pinouts for a LAN card: **broken link removed**

Do I just connect TX- and RX- to ground (0V) and TX+ to the output of my receiver, and RX+ to transmitter's input?

and what are the minimum and maximum voltages and currents do these pins accept to let the computer know a binary "1" or logic high is being transmitted?

You can't do this with a LAN card, it's a far more complicated device than a serial port.

There shouldn't be any interference from a serial port?, other than that simply generated by the computer - I would suspect you aren't connecting it properly, so far I've not seen any suggestion of anything that might connect to a serial port - or any reason for anything to do so?.

I want to connect my receiver to the computer. The only other way is through parallel port, but I want the easiest method possible, and I dont want the computer to deliver more than about 6V as a logic 1 output to my transmitter.

Basically, I want to set up my own packet radio station and get on the air like the rest of the hams.

mstechca said:
I want to connect my receiver to the computer. The only other way is through parallel port, but I want the easiest method possible, and I dont want the computer to deliver more than about 6V as a logic 1 output to my transmitter.

Basically, I want to set up my own packet radio station and get on the air like the rest of the hams.

In which case you need:

1) A Packet modem.

2) A transceiver for the band in question.

3) An amateur radio licence.

It seems fairly obvious you aren't currently licenced, as you don't have enough knowledge to pass the RAE.

So your first job is to take a course and get the RAE passed, this will also show you that the toy radios you've being playing with are nothing but that!. You need a proper transciever, and a proper packet modem - and you're a LONG way short of building anything approaching something like that.

As it happens, I have a Kantronics KPCII packet modem and Kenwood 2m transceiver sat doing nothing (pity you're not in the UK) - I used to do packet a number of years ago, my callsign was G8MMV.

and how do you connect your packet modem to the computer? Serial port? or is it a PCI/ISA card?

mstechca said:
and how do you connect your packet modem to the computer? Serial port? or is it a PCI/ISA card?

Serial port, it looks very like an external computer modem, except it connects to a transceiver rather than a phone line. Like the the 2m transceiver I used it with, it runs off 12V, so could all be used in a car - assuming you had a laptop to run it from?.

There's various PC software available for running packet, I actually wrote my own - using Turbo Pascal under DOS :lol:

Nigel, I'm going to tell you one fact!

I'm making the whole d*** thing myself LOL

I figured out 99% of the mysteries behind the superregen receiver, PLUS, I am able to convert the sound into Light pulses. The third interesting part is that I am able to connect an IC with my superregen with very little distortion.

Now if I can do all that, I am about 60% done. All I need to do now is literally finetune until the data station come in clear. (if only I had a frequency meter this wouldn't be happening), put in some logic circuitry (maybe a small microcontroller) to decode the signal properly, and send it to the computer with the serial port. Looks like I'll have to make some voltage converters.

mstechca said:
Nigel, I'm going to tell you one fact!

I'm making the whole d*** thing myself LOL

Well good luck! - I don't think you've got a hope in hell :lol: so far your 'talents' appear to be randomly adding components and randomly altering values, without having the slightest clue what you might be doing!.

Also, crude transmitters and super-regen receivers are NOT suitable for amateur radio, and certainly not for packet. While the 'RF police' might be thin on the ground, Radio Amateurs are not! - attempting to use such 'toys' in amateur bands is likely to get the locals chasing you - all of which have passed exams, and know how to DF hunt :lol:

As I said previously, you need a licence to be a radio amateur, which requires passing the RAE (Radio Amateurs Exam) - doing this would improve your skills beyond recognition!, even to the fairly low level required to pass it.

If you want to see what a really simple packet modem looks like, have try at https://www.qsl.net/yo5ofh/projects/modem758/modem758.gif.

I'm gonna go try simpler than that LOL.

Well good luck! - I don't think you've got a hope in hell so far your 'talents' appear to be randomly adding components and randomly altering values, without having the slightest clue what you might be doing!.
After the last response Audioguru gave me in regards to my transistor amplifier, it seems that the majority of the capacitors I am using are contributing to low-pass filters. The only ones which are not are the coupling ones.

Also, crude transmitters and super-regen receivers are NOT suitable for amateur radio, and certainly not for packet.
There is no chance of trouble for receiving digital data. Transmitting can be another story. If I can just make a transmitter that can transmit with the absolute minimum power and current, then I am on my way, and no RF cop will be chasing me because my transmitter ratings will then be within the FCC limits.

While the 'RF police' might be thin on the ground, Radio Amateurs are not! - attempting to use such 'toys' in amateur bands is likely to get the locals chasing you - all of which have passed exams, and know how to DF hunt
LOL. I wonder why you call them "TOYS".
I guess DF hunt means digital frequency hunt.

I think in packet radio, for every message that is sent, a callsign is sent. This is probably how police know things.

mstechca said:
I'm gonna go try simpler than that LOL.

I wouldn't have thought it possible?, your 'designs' are already too crude to work?.

Well good luck! - I don't think you've got a hope in hell so far your 'talents' appear to be randomly adding components and randomly altering values, without having the slightest clue what you might be doing!.
After the last response Audioguru gave me in regards to my transistor amplifier, it seems that the majority of the capacitors I am using are contributing to low-pass filters. The only ones which are not are the coupling ones.

They would provide a very crude type of low-pass filter, as I'm sure Audioguru would agree - but WHY? would you want a low-pass filter anyway?.

Also, crude transmitters and super-regen receivers are NOT suitable for amateur radio, and certainly not for packet.
There is no chance of trouble for receiving digital data. Transmitting can be another story. If I can just make a transmitter that can transmit with the absolute minimum power and current, then I am on my way, and no RF cop will be chasing me because my transmitter ratings will then be within the FCC limits.

A super-regen can very easily cause interference, a proper receiver doesn't - so RF cops could well be chasing you!, particularly as you alter the circuits at random!.

While the 'RF police' might be thin on the ground, Radio Amateurs are not! - attempting to use such 'toys' in amateur bands is likely to get the locals chasing you - all of which have passed exams, and know how to DF hunt
LOL. I wonder why you call them "TOYS".
I guess DF hunt means digital frequency hunt.

DF is "Direction Finding", allowing all interested parties to arrive at your door - particularly easy with packet radio! - as they can make your system transmit any time they like! (assuming you ever managed to make one work?).

I think in packet radio, for every message that is sent, a callsign is sent. This is probably how police know things.

So what is your callsign?, assuming you are licenced? (which I don't believe for a second!).

my license, callsign, registration and all that stuff comes later. Right now, I am restricting myself to short range communication only (maybe 20 feet range).

They would provide a very crude type of low-pass filter, as I'm sure Audioguru would agree - but WHY? would you want a low-pass filter anyway?.
They help with the amplification and anyone that wants to transmit to my receiver next door at a higher frequency won't be able to screw my receiver as well.

A super-regen can very easily cause interference, a proper receiver doesn't - so RF cops could well be chasing you!, particularly as you alter the circuits at random!.
I think it depends on some things. It only caused interference on my other radio when both stations are almost tuned to the same frequency and both receivers had long antennas close to each other (and not touching). My TV was never screwed from my receiver even though I used that frequency before.

mstechca said:
my license, callsign, registration and all that stuff comes later. Right now, I am restricting myself to short range communication only (maybe 20 feet range).

It's still illegal! - get licenced BEFORE trying to be a radio amateur, the exam is there for a good reason! - your lack of knowledge ratehr proves that!.

They help with the amplification and anyone that wants to transmit to my receiver next door at a higher frequency won't be able to screw my receiver as well.

Sorry, but that's all total rubbish!.

I think it depends on some things. It only caused interference on my other radio when both stations are almost tuned to the same frequency and both receivers had long antennas close to each other (and not touching). My TV was never screwed from my receiver even though I used that frequency before.

It depends on many things, but they do cause interference - quite possibly on a frequency you can't even receive!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back