Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Novice needs help with new project

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnerjamesr

Basically i am in the process of making a replica rifle but need some help with the circuit part.

The circuit in question needs to simply make the sound of a single shot being fired (would prefer using my own sound or something similar to a large caliber rifle being fired) and two or three LEDs flashing once to represent muzzle flash. This needs to happen each time the trigger is pulled. If it could be run off a 9v battery that would be great.

Thanks

James

The sound from a gun is powerful. A little 9V battery cannot produce enough power in a speaker.
You need a big speaker and a powerful amplifier. The power is from a supply voltage that is much higher than only 9V and it increases the current to much more than a little 9V battery can supply.

a zener noise generator, high gain preamp (zener noise sources usually need lots of gain) , voltage controlled amplifier and an audio amp made with something like an LM386 would probably work if you want to use all analog components. the voltage controlled amplifier gets it's control input from a capacitor that discharges while you hold the trigger down. the control voltage source can also provide a control voltage for the LED circuit.

You can put the LEDs on the rifle and remotely trigger the sound from a PA system.

Hello, Sounds like a fun project. This can easily be done with a pic microcontroller. The parts would prob cost you around 10-15 bucks. If you want one built for you let me know and I can build one for you to your specs as stated for around $30.00. If you need a code snippet let me know and can write one for you real quick for free :) have fun!

thanks for the comments. The one main problem im having is producing the rifle shot sound effect. I have looked around the net but cant seem to find anything that makes a single BANG. Is there a circuit which would let me record my own sound effect and use it?

Thanks
James

Hello, Sounds like a fun project. This can easily be done with a pic microcontroller. The parts would prob cost you around 10-15 bucks. If you want one built for you let me know and I can build one for you to your specs as stated for around $30.00. If you need a code snippet let me know and can write one for you real quick for free :) have fun!
sorry for sounding stupid but would this be able to produce the sound effect as well as trigger off the LEDs.

Last edited:
Kind of an overkill chip, but does a great job. I've got a few from arcade games, think there is something similar in Commodore computers as well. Yeah, kind of an old chip.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I haven't messed with them in decades, but remember that you could get some pretty interesting and realistic sounds out of it. Like mentioned earlier, you need more than a 9 volt battery to make it loud. So, you kind of need to decide what you want, and make a few trade offs.

SAW 3 DIGITAL VOICE RECORDER | AllElectronics.com Smallish circuit board, 30 seconds recording, but not particularly loud either. But for $2.00, it's not a bad little toy (have several, 10/$1.50 each special...).

The amplifier and speakers are going to be the tough choice, since they'll kind of dictate power requirements and size. Depend on how load you need. Have seen some fairly loud, but compact MP3 speakers/amplifiers, which couldn't possibly be powered by more than 2 or three AA batteries. Not sure how much you want to build from scratch, and how much off the shelf you want to use. I prefer to avoid re-inventing the wheel, since I seldom do as well, and seldom save much money on parts for many things.

Hi Gun, Just lookup picaxe on the sear engine. They take a pic microcontroller and make it even simpler to use for us. The picaxe would work just fine for your application and you can get from sparkfun electronics. The code is to be written in basic or you can use a flowchart style. They give the software away for free and their manuals are great the come with the software. Hope this helps :) If you need help with writing the code I can send you some if u end up trying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back