Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

novice help 555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfontjr

i was trying to build a timer with a 30 second on and a 3 minute off, i tried using the circuit below on kpsec.com, the one using a diode to get less than a 50% duty, i used r2=1.2M, r1=0.2M and c1=220uF according to the calcs on that page. The output stays on, does not cycle, whats wrong? i also tried it with c1=47uF, same result

if i change out c1 to 10uf the timer will cycle about 1 sec on and 8 secs off

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/555timer.htm

555 timers are very limited as to maximum times, in this case the leakage in the 220uF is probably more than the current available through the 1.2Mohm - you could try using a tantalum capacitor?, this is an application where they really are better.

What are you using it to control?

A relay, LED, piezo buzzer etc.?

Just omit the diode and wire the load from pin 3 to +V instead of 0V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back