Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Notebook DC jack power flickers

Status
Not open for further replies.

starLED

I have an issue with a DC jack on my notebook.
Problem is that adapter plug is not tight, it's a bit loose, DC jack is not holding it tightly, and as a result battery charging sometimes flicker.
I noticed there are side clips in DC jack, I was wondering if those can be widen to hold plug better?
IMG_20211016_204445.jpg

Look at the end of the plug. Some have a flat "tuning fork" centre contact set in a slot in the end of the plug, so you can see the ends of the fork; that type can comes loose after a while as the fork ends spread apart, especially if the cable gets pulled around.

If it is one of those, just work the tip of a pin in between the end of the fork and the end of the plastic slot, to lever the ends of the fork contact slightly closer together.
Once it's closed back up a bit, it should work OK (until it stretches again).

eg. this general style, rather than ones that have a full tube centre - those usually go with a split centre pin in the socket, than can be spread slightly with a knife tip.

100Pcs-DC-Power-Plug-14mm-55x25mm-Socket.jpg

I followed your advice to use a pin to move fork contacts closer, and it works better know.
Thanks.
Will see how long it will hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back