Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

(Not Reaal uC related but im interfacing with a PIC) What controller is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

secretagent

I got this sharp lcd out of a sharp fax machine... I cannot find anything on this LCD does anyone know what it is and have a datasheet? Could you please help me out... I cant trace pins because there are no pads :( I have another LCD that has a datasheet and everything I know the pinout just I messed up the pins and have to fix stuff on it, But i would really like to get this thing going! Thanks in advance...View attachment 62620

Is it a 2-line by 16 character dot matrix display?

If so, you are in luck, this is a very standard type of display. One equivalent is the DMC-16202, there is a pinout here - https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/03/LCD216dwg.pdf
A and K are for the backlight, as shown on the diagram.

Here's a spec sheet on a slightly different version, same pinout and everything - https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/03/DMC-16202NY-LY-BJE-BLN.pdf
You can buy that one new for $12 from places like Digikey and Mouser.

Here's some specs on the controller chip used in most of these - https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/03/nt3881d.pdf

Last edited:
Hi, This is a 16x1 display but each side of the display is considered a line, so this screen could be a 8x2 lcd...

Ive had it display something before but only the left side because LCD's were to complex for me a long time ago, so I didn't know how to change the DDRAM address pointer...

Thanks for the quick reply and it has everything the same as the common hitachi controller according to the datasheet...

Ill try it tommorow... Thanks..

**broken link removed**
Hey I got it this far using my NHD-0416BZ-NSW-BBW as a test screen, I am disappointed because I had forgotten to ground the R/W pin thats why it didn't work!!! As someone told me before always hook everything up at first!

I only wrote to the left side of the screen 'Hello' I wrote and this is what comes up, any ideas? (There are weird half on pixels aswell!)

Last edited:
The LCD is damaged or corroded and has missing pixel columns. Your soldering is terrible! :eek:

But congrats getting it to communicate, that is a good achievement even though the LCD itself is damaged. :)

PS... PLEASE edit photos to make them less than 500 pixels wide, so you don't force people to download huge SLOW photos that won't even fit on their screen.

Hey guys, Thanks for all your help, I will shrink them sorry about that! And aswell, the soldering job is like that because years ago when I couldnt solder i messed it up bad so I decided to redo it and it was all broken...

Here is a soldering job that I did recently (not to good): PINS: anode,cathode of backlight, and Positive, Negative logic are not done good...

View attachment 62669

Please ignore the thumbnail it was a corrupted resized photo...

I have become better I solder around that well with a 3/4 that length GLCD...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back