Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noob question about a online tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only questions I have about it are..

1. how sensitive is the adjustement? do you think it is as sensitive as the other kind of dimmer?

2. Could I get some little switch to cut the power off to the dimmer? One of the good things about the other set up is it has the momentary switch that allows you turn the whole thing off and on... this allows you to turn it off and one easily without changing the adjustment level of the heat..

Question 1. Dunno, try one out and see. $15.00 to find out ;)

Question 2. Pull the plug, or plug the thing into a receptacle that is controlled by a lightswitch.

Great points.. hopefully they have one at home depot wired up. Then I can see how sensitive it is for light control compared to the other dimmers.

Maybe this one..?

**broken link removed**

Edit.. oh shoot.. it only goes to 200 watts.. probably not enough.

Is this a momentary switch button?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Maybe this one..?

**broken link removed**

Edit.. oh shoot.. it only goes to 200 watts.. probably not enough.

Is this a momentary switch button?

**broken link removed**

Your iron probably draws less than 100W. You will have to see what your crock pot draws. Probably stamped on the bottom. 200W may be enough. I picked the 500W to be on the safe side.

That switch you picked is designed for mounting into a kitchen sink. Save yourself the $25 bucks and just pull the cord when your done, or maybe you can find a dim switch with a off switch. I would just make a trip to Home Depot and see what they have in stock.

The thing is.. one of the images I posted on how he set up his rig shows the this. See.. I plan on using various tools. One is the wood burner.. one is the crock pot.. and one uses a hot air heat gun to heat standard sculpting tools. That's why you need the momentary switch. So that thing isn't blasting the entire time you are sculpting. So you lay you hand on the switch to momentarily activate it while you hold your tool in front of the heated air.

I believe the hot air gun is 300 watts. Sorry to be a pain. haha

Thanks for listening to all my nonsense.. :D

Last edited:
I would think a heat gun would not work so well when used on a dimmer control. Don't heat guns have there own temp control? What about using the switch on the heat gun when you want it off?

The problem is.. in one hand you are holding your sculpt.. in the other hand you are holding your sculpting tool. And you have to reheat the tip of your metal tool frequently..

This is why they designed that momentary switch with the hinged mechanism. This way you can set your hand with the tool on the momentary switch while holding the tool tip infront of the heated air.. without having to turn off and on the blower gun.. which would be awkward..

You could just leave the blower on since you use it so much.. but it would get annoying.. it's kind of something you understand more if you sculpt I think..

Last edited:
I use a foot switch with my drill press. I think I got it at Rocklers in Clairmont.

I just remembered. There is a Harbor Freight Tools in El Cajon. I bet they carry foot switches.

Last edited:
That's right in my neighborhood. Perfect. It even says for hand and foot use! Awsome. Thanks so much!

For this I will sculpt you a devils tower sculpt so you don't have to work in mashed potatoes anymore. :)

In this image it shows the momentary switch going to the gang box. I bought the momentary switch Mike recommended from Harbor freight instead of making my own.

https://www.myheap.com/book/chapter-02/heatgun/heatgun/HotAirSetupLarge.jpg

I couldn't find a small extension cord to use to go between the momentary switch to the gang box.. and I would rather not cut up the 8 ft extension cord I got.. but I do have some old 3 prong cord that went to some electronics.. not sure if it was a monitor or what. I am wondering if I could use this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back