Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noob needing help - Simple motor timer and revers circuit needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomik81

Hello everyone,
I am a noob trying to develop a special circuit for a little homebrew project that Iam working on and I do not know enough about the individual components to make the circuit do wat I need.

I am trying to make a circuit that will run on both battery power or by pluggin it in to a standard US house outlet. The circuit will be activated by a switch or button of some kind to start off the process.

Basically what I want to do is have a switch start a motor that would run until its movement triggers a microswitch (forward) once the switch is triggered the motor would holds its position for an adjustable amount of time (between 1 and 3 seconds) then the motor would reverse back to its starting position and stop when it hits a second microswitch (reverse).

When the motor hits the first (forward) microswitch I want another section of the circuit to activate a second componant with the equivalent power of two AA batteries (using the same power supply as the rest of the circuit) in order to run some additional components.

I am basically trying to tie an existing circuit in to my new circuit and I know that it runs off of AA batteries.

What I am basically looking for is some help identifying the correct parts to use to make this circuit work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. as I said, I am very new at this and I am just trying to learn.

Thank you

Last edited:
Read my posts to this thread and this one.

You will have to use a timer to effectively flip the toggle switch shown in those posts. This is tough to do with only 3V. You will need a CMOS 555 timer chip, a 3V DPDT relay or a 3V H-Bridge and some logic...

Clarification

After re-reading my post I think I may have been a little confusing.
What I guess I am trying to do is make 2 different circuits that are powered by the same power supply. The first circuit will trigger a motor that will then cause a microswitch on the second circuit to activate.
I want both circuits to be able to run off of the same power supply and I want the user to have the option to power the device with batteries (any kind that will make it work) or ac adapter so the device will have both options built in and the user can choose which they want.

Here is the order of actions that need to happen

(Circuit 1)
1. The circuit is started by a user action (Pushing a button or trigger of some sort)

2. A motor will move some gears across a track that will then hit a microswitch.

3. When the microswitch is hit the motor will stop and hold its position for 1 to 3 seconds then reverse and go back across the track.

4. Once the motor gets back to it's starting position it will trigger another microswitch that will turn off the circuit until it is re activated by the user.

(Circuit 2)
Circuit 2 only needs to have approximately the power of two AA batteries but I would like to be able to adjust this up and down to control the features of circuit 2. Aside from the power regulation I already have circuit 2 designed and ready to go.

1. In step 2 (above) the motor action of circuit 1 will trigger a second microswitch that will start circuit 2.

Basically I need to design circuit 1 from scratch and make it trigger circuit 2 to start. I need both to run using the same dual power supply (user decides to use either batteries or ac adaptor) so I need to make power regulations for circuit one and two based on their requirements. Circuit 1 needs enough power to run a motor, 2 microswitches, and a push button of some sort and circuit 2 needs to have a potentiometer to allow me to control the voltage up and down slightly between 3 and 10 volts give or take.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back