Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noob advice for adding a switch into a clock circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

london49ers

Hi all, apologies if this is a dumb/obvious question, but I'm seeking some advice on adding a switch into an electronic clock circuit -

I have a mantelpiece clock that I really love the aesthetics of, but it has an electronic Westminster chime which to be honest, I'm not a fan of! To the point where I don't have the clock powered up at all as the chime is a loud, electronic chime that really grates on me.
However, I don't just want to cut the cables that connect the speaker to the circuit (and safely seal them) just in case I part with the clock in the future and the next person wants it to chime hourly.

So I'm hoping there might be a small inline switch that I can wire into the circuit, in-between the speaker and the main board, giving the option to turn on/off the speaker.
The whole thing is battery powered and it's just a basic clock mech (see pic below)

However I have no idea where to get one or what it would look like. All of my initial searches have just shown up switches that are designed for much heavier cabling eg the type of switches on lamps etc.

Is this idea feasible? If so,what kind of switch so I need to get? Or do I just bite the bullet and disconnect the speaker somehow?

IMG_20230404_102128.jpg

Just unsolder one of the wires off the speaker, it's easily soldered back on in the future if needed.

You could always cut one of the wires and solder a small in the gap, there are countless small switches available - but it's hardly worth bothering, just unsolder the wire.

If you don't have a soldering iron?, then just cut one of the wires close to speaker terminal, a future owner can then easily solder it back on if required.

Here are many example switches on Amazon:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back