Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non-contact mains detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

erifyab

I'm trying to build a non-contact voltage detector which will trigger a relay if the mains voltage fails in a particular circuit. Has to be non-contact (although could wrap a sense wire around the cable to be monitored). Needs to not be too sensitive (or adjustable) so that only monitors one wire out of several.

I searched on here and found this thread

I built the circuit given in that thread (here). This works after a fashion but only using 2 x 1.5v batts as shown. When I use a 3.3v psu (decent regulated one) it stops working as the output from the 4049 combo only rises to 2.7v in quiescent, so the LED is permanently on and I only get about 1v change in output when it senses mains.

I'm assuming the 4049 is being used as a high gain amp and then oscillator to flash the LED? My circuits theory was a long time ago so I'm struggling!

It'd be really nice to work out a circuit using the 4049 (as I've got loads!) with basically a very high gain amp for the induced signal, with a better sensitivity control and a nice stable 3v output to drive my solid-state relay.

All help gratefully received!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back