Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nokia charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananasiong

Hi,
I have a nokia charger that its connector is not working anymore, so I use it as the power supply of my PIC programmer and my PIC experiments. I have a 5 V low dropout voltage regulator in it (5.5 V input max). On the charger, written the output DC 5.3 V, 500 mA. So I assumed that I can use the charger for my new programmer.
I was able to use it in my house. Today, I went to my college and measured the output voltage of my charger. It was 6.1 V!!!! I connected it to my programmer, and measured the voltage of the charger (with the programmer as the load), and the voltage is 5.9 V.
Luckily I didn't burn the voltage regulator, just wonder why the output voltage of the charger is higher than as rated. I planned to use it as the power supply of my programmer, and I have mounted the voltage regulator onto the PCB :eek:
Sigh, will I harm the little voltage regulator with input voltage higher than the rated??

Hi Banana,
A low dropout 5V regulator usually has a minimum input voltage of 5.5V. Its max input voltage is about 30V.
Which regulator is it?

An AC adapter doesn't have a regulated output voltage. It will be very high without a load, high with half its rated load and about the correct voltage when fully loaded.
I have a "9VDC" AC adapter rated for only 280mA. Its output without a load is 13.6V. Its output is 9VDC with its rated load but it gets extremely hot.

Hi,
It is TPS73150 from Texas Instrument. Its dropout voltage is only 30 mV and the datasheet says that the max input voltage are 6.0 V (under 'Absolute maximum rating') and 5.5 V (under 'Electrical characteristics).
I'm not sure whether my charger has regulated output or not, but it seems working fine with the voltage regulator.
Is that called AC adapter or DC adapter? The output is in DC, but the voltage is higher than rated.

You have the smallest voltage regulator that I have never seen.

I think that should be fine. 6.1 V is just a bit more than 6 V. With load added, the voltage is 5.9 V.
But there are two max input voltage rating in the datasheet which is confusing the user.

The TPS73150 regulator has a max temporary input voltage of 6.0V. They say it might not meet its spec's at such a high voltage and its reliability might be poor.
The max continuous operating input voltage allowed is 5.5V where it is guaranteed to meet its spec's and it is expected to last a long time.

Since I'm using it for programming, which takes me not more than 20 seconds, so I'm not going to remove it. I don't want to edit the PCB anymore :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back