Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nokia 5110 connectivity to PIC16F84A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I once posted this topic but it did not receive mucha attention. I have read the FBUS protocol for nokia 5110 and 6110. I want to be able to command a nokia 5110 to send sms from a pic16f84a when an alarm occurs on one of the pic16f84 pins. I would like to believe my hardware is not adequate ( see attached schematic)

I use an off the shelf nokia datacable. Is it necessary to have a Max232 chip again in the circuit outside the datacable?

Here is the code for sending of sms when an alarm occurs.

attachments

sorry i could not attach the schematic or code for the project because of an error on the attachments page

As you have the data cable, does it plug in the serial port or USB port?, this onviously makes a BIG difference!.

Assuming it's the serial port?, I suggest you write a program on the PC to learn to control it - it gives you a LOT more options, is easier to do, and you know the hardware is already working. Once you have that done you know EXACTLY what you have to send, and it's trivial to port it to the PIC.

Depending on how it works, you may even be able to configure Hyperterminal to do the job, and input the commands manually - again this would show you exactly what the PIC has to do.

Assuming it IS the serial port, you will need a MAX232, or some other type of level changer.

Also why use last centuries obselete PIC?, why not use a current one - like the 16F628 that replaced the 84 years ago!.

WARNING!

Are you absolutely sure that the Nokia phone uses RS-232 levels. It is quite possible the the UART in the phone expects only 5V or 3.3 Volt levels.

I did some work with a Siemens XT55 cell phone module and its UART ports were most definitely NOT using RS-232 levels.

Papabravo said:
WARNING!

Are you absolutely sure that the Nokia phone uses RS-232 levels. It is quite possible the the UART in the phone expects only 5V or 3.3 Volt levels.

I did some work with a Siemens XT55 cell phone module and its UART ports were most definitely NOT using RS-232 levels.

You're NOT reading the post!

I use an off the shelf nokia datacable

The cable ISN'T just a cable, it's a converter as well.

I use an off the shelf nokia datacable. Is it necessary to have a Max232 chip again in the circuit outside the datacable?

Yes, you will need a max232 chip on the PIC board to bring it down to PIC levels. The cable as Nigel points out converts the 3.3V signals to RS-232 levels. The circuitry for this usually resides inside the housing on the DB-9 end of the cable. You then have to convert is down again to TTL levels.

It might be cheaper to simply cut-off the cable and connect it directly to the PIC board. You still need to drop the 5V signal output from the PIC down to 3.3V used by the phone.

Try googling for DIY data cables for the 5110 to give some idea on how to do it.

Thanks guys, yes the cable plugs into a serial port. I will try and write a pc program to simulate the situation. But as for the PIC16F84, i seem to have no option as this country does not have any at the moment and i am relying old pics that I bought 3 yae

emufambirwi said:
Thanks guys, yes the cable plugs into a serial port. I will try and write a pc program to simulate the situation. But as for the PIC16F84, i seem to have no option as this country does not have any at the moment and i am relying old pics that I bought 3 yae

No problem using old stock you've got, as long as you're not going out buying new ones at silly prices (I still have 16C84's I use sometimes).

An off the shelf datacable says nothing about what may be attached to the two ends. If one is RS-232, then the other probably is as well. In which case the transceiver would be required.

Papabravo said:
An off the shelf datacable says nothing about what may be attached to the two ends. If one is RS-232, then the other probably is as well. In which case the transceiver would be required.

"off the shelf nokia datacable" tells you everything you need to know, it connects directly from the Nokia to the computer - everything is built-in the lead.

Perhaps you neglated to notice 'Nokia' in his original post?.

I suspect there is a cultural gap here. The Nokia 5110 is GSM phone not used in America except for a few isolated places. Whereas this is a very early phone. It's use and accessories are very familiar to the rest of the world.

motion said:
I suspect there is a cultural gap here. The Nokia 5110 is GSM phone not used in America except for a few isolated places. Whereas this is a very early phone. It's use and accessories are very familiar to the rest of the world.

I've no idea what a 5110 is either?, I'm not very 'phone literate :p ', but exactly the same applies to any phone - you get a specific connection lead from the phone to the computer, and that does any voltage conversion required. It's obviously far easier to interface from the computer end of the cable, as you already know it's requirements.

Personally I have a Nokia 3220 phone (just went and read the model number off it!), and my data-cable connects to USB, although the earlier versions apparently were serial port - but regardless, the lead sorts the connection out for you.

Bear in mind, these phones and leads are intended for non-technical kids to use!.

first connect the phone to a computer

& try communicating using 'AT' commands over a 'hyper terminal'.
once you've found the commands that works
for your purpose simply add that on the PIC's code.

i don't know if your phone communicates serially.if it does then
u should have no problem finding the 'AT' commands over google

F bus commands set?

hi

i am trying to connect to my nokia 3310 phone using FBUS. but i am not getting FBUS commands set. if anybody knows the link to get it, pls tell me.

________
regards
ramanuja

Fbus commands???

hi.. it seems u have read the Fbus protocol fo nokia 5110 and 6110..
am trying to connect to my nokia 3310 using Fbus but not able to get the Fbus commands..
could u help me abt where i can find the info abt FBUS protocol?
-------
regards
ramanuja

hi,
am doing same project . about interfacing the PIC to the mobile phone , i've tried to link directly the usart TX RX pins to tha adequate RX TX of the mobile , but this didn't work for me , so what i've do , it's to make two MAX 232 between the PIC and the mobile and it works great ,.

ps : carful you must reverse the RX and TX in the output of the first MAX232 to the input of the second MAX232
hope it helps you

if you need mobile phones pinout , here's a good link:
www.pinouts.ru

your brother from algeria

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back