Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noise on the power supply line

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrow

Hi

I have two circtuis on a common ground. The voltage on each circuit is regulated by its own V regulator (LP2951): One at 3.0V the other at 5.0V.
The 3.0V supplies a SD card, the 5.0V supplies a set of sensors.
What I notice is that every time the SD card is written to, there is a voltage (up or down) spike on the 5.0V supply!
I am using a 68uF cap on each of the V regulators.

Can someone please help me in eliminating/ reducing the V spikes on the sensor 5.0V regulated supply?

Thank you in advance.
a.

Have you got 0.1uF capacitors in parallel with the 68uF ones?

Mike.
Edit corrected as per Nigel's post.

Last edited:
HI Mike

Thank you for your suggestion.

I have just added a 0.22uF cap in series with the sensor 68uF cap, and I still get the spikes on the sensor power line.
I have a 0.22uF cap. close to the SD chip.

(I have never understood why one would need a small capacitor in series with a larger one. Does it matter what kind of capacitor it is? - I think I am using a tantalum for the 0.22uF)

Thank you
a.

Hi arrow,

try this:

The 47n capacitors already take care of reduced spikes from mains via the transformer. Additionally connect a small inductance (47 - 100µH) + a 100n capacitor close to the power supply pin of the card reader/writer. Doing the same with the connected sensors spikes and resulting problems should be minimized.

Finally use separate GND traces from the power supply to the sensors and to the card reader/writer.

Last edited:
Hi

Thank you all for replying. I tried most of the above, and it did not seem to work. I ended up putting in an RC low pass filter with R=1ohm and C=0.022uF, and that worked pretty well.

All the best
a.

What current are you drawing, are you sure you can stand the voltage drop across the resistor?

You could have also tried an inductor or just a simple ferrite bead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back