Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

No post-rating control on top-level posting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonzit

I just noticed that you can't rate top-level (i.e., original) postings; there are no "Did you find this post helpful?" thingies on them. Surely this isn't intentional?

Last edited:
There' still the reputation star on the bottom left. Just no +/- 1

Well, they're different things for different purposes, aren't they? Why should one be missing just because it's an initial post?

I can only ASS-U-ME that the idea is for the OP to comment on the usefullness of the replies.

Admittedly others will also vote on the usefullness of a reply if it helps their understanding of the subject under discussion.

But given that the initial post is usually a question of some sort, it is probably meaningless to vote on its helpfullness.

JimB

EM is still working on it, I think. The +/- 1 is a new addition and it might not be finished. On the other hand, I completely agree with JimB. There really isn't a need to thank a first post--it's kind of pointless. The Thanks is probably intended to be used by the OP, rating replies.

What if someone posts an informative message, instead of a question, one worthy of kudos? Wouldn't that warrant having that control?

What if someone posts an informative message, instead of a question, one worthy of kudos? Wouldn't that warrant having that control?

Then you can use the regular reputation button, or thank them in a PM.

Hi guys,

Yes, like Jim and DerStrom pointed out the initial post is usually a question so it's not enabled for it. I do understand that there are first posts that are not questions hence the rep button is still there.

The +/- system is complete and fully functional. If there is any reply in the thread that you think is useful vote for it - even if you haven't made a reply in that thread. If you vote for it, it not only gives that person rep points but also shows any other readers that the post is somewhat valuable.

Regards,
EM

Hi guys,

Yes, like Jim and DerStrom pointed out the initial post is usually a question so it's not enabled for it. I do understand that there are first posts that are not questions hence the rep button is still there.

The +/- system is complete and fully functional. If there is any reply in the thread that you think is useful vote for it - even if you haven't made a reply in that thread. If you vote for it, it not only gives that person rep points but also shows any other readers that the post is somewhat valuable.

Regards,
EM

Thank you very much for clearing that up, EM :)

P.S. Did you say the +/- 1 feature adds to the green bars under the username, or is it more like a regular "thanks" button?

Last edited:
P.S. Did you say the +/- 1 feature adds to the green bars under the username, or is it more like a regular "thanks" button?

Yes, it adds with a positive vote. However, if you get a negative vote it does NOT subtract from your green bar - only positive votes do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back