Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NMEA data splitter (1 input to 4 outputs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken B

Hi,

I have a GPS that sends NMEA-0183 data to my plotter. I want to send it to my radar, auto-pilot, and computer. I can't run more than 2 things from my GPS because adding more devices "load down" the data line. I need a way to "boost" and/or multiplex the line. NMEA data is basically just pulsating DC. As an example of what I need look at https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2004/05/lemm1.pdf
I can't afford what they want for it. I was wondering if there was an available schematic that I could make something similar to this?
Thanks

Send it through 2 MAX232 devices rated for more current than the GPS unit can handle. MAX232's are old though, so you should be able to get a newer one that had more channels so you'd only need one. I don't know what they're called though.

In general you'd need the "new MAX232" device and a few caps. Thats about it.

Another option would be simply an OPAMP configured as a voltage follower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back