Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NiMH Charger Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoTang

I'm planning to make a NNiMH 9.6V (170mAH) charger and my question is how much voltage should I apply to the battery when charging? Would 11 Volts @ 17mA be good? or does it have to be 9.6V @17mA the same rating as the battery?

Thanks.

CoTang said:
I'm planning to make a NNiMH 9.6V (170mAH) charger and my question is how much voltage should I apply to the battery when charging? Would 11 Volts @ 17mA be good? or does it have to be 9.6V @17mA the same rating as the battery?

Thanks.

They should be charged with a constant current, so the voltage doesn't matter (as long as it's a fair bit higher than the battery voltage). I would suggest a source voltage of around 20V, with a constant current source of 17mA feeding the battery.

pike said:
whoa 20v. My cordless drill has a 12v battery and uses only a 15v charger

And simply 'bungs' the 15V through a low value resistor to the battery :lol:

This is a really poor method of charging, used simply for it's low cost, with a total disregard for the shortening of battery life it causes.

Hi

It should be at least 1.8 volts / cell available @ the desired current.
In case of 9.6 Volts pack it is 8 cells * 1.8 = 14.4 Volts.

Ante :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back