Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NiMH battery pack's ability to provide stable voltage and current

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssylee

I have a battery pack consisting of 2100 mAH, AA 1.2 V NiMH batteries connected in series (7.2 V in total). I have calculated that my system would draw a total of 1.1 A in the worst-case max current draw scenario, with most of the current drawn by motors being driven intermittently. I have a voltage regulator circuit using the LM2940-5.0 chip, with bulk and decoupling capacitors connected in all power and motor driver circuits of the system. Knowing this information alone, do you think the battery can provide a stable voltage and current for the components to continue operation and for the microcontroller to stay within operating voltage for 20 to 30 minutes?

It sounds fine except I wouldn't power motors from the 5V supply: connect them to the 7.2V rail and just use 5V for the logic circuits.

That's exactly what I'm doing (I omitted attaching the schematics to avoid overloading my question). Would that be fine from your experience?

That's exactly what I'm doing (I omitted attaching the schematics to avoid overloading my question). Would that be fine from your experience?
Please post the schematic.

You should always post a schematic if you can. I you want to cut down, then cut the text not the schematic.

I have attached my motor driver and voltage regulator circuit for my logic circuits.

Attachments

• voltage_regulati&#1.png
    voltage_regulati&#1.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 143
  • motor_driver..png
    motor_driver..png
    21.9 KB · Views: 141
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back