Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NiMH battery discharger

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradford336

Hey all! I am trying to come up with something better than a halogen bulb and a timer to discharge my NiMH battery packs. I use 6 Volt 5 cell packs ranging from 1400 mA to 2400 mA in R/C airplanes. I understand that they need to be discharged to 1.1 V per cell so 5.5 V total. I want the discharge to take around 2 hours. (if the pack is fully charged) This way I can judge the flight time I can get out of them.
I have seen circuits using 7805 regulators and just having them operate a load through a relay until they reach 5 volts and unlatch due to the regulator losing power to operate.
I have seen comparator circuits which I like but am unsure about which calculations I need to do in order to get what I need. They are a better choice for me though since I can use trimmer pots to adjust my load.
Can anyone help me come up with a happy median? I would like something fairly inexpensive and simple but still be able to adjust the load for which ever pack i am discharging. A circuit which would allow me to add a timer and possibly a charging circuit later on maybe.
Let me just say I know a lot of people say not to discharge NiMH packs because they only have so many usable cycles. I do not use them for electric motors I use them to power radio equipment. Although they do not have the memory issues like the old NiCd packs I still like to occasionally check run times. The purchase of a new pack is better than watching my gas powered plane fly into the sunset with dead radio batteries.
I was wondering about doing the 7805 regulator circuit with simply putting a resistor between the pack and the regulator to make the 5.5V cut-off I want. Would this suffice for now? If so what would be the best way to calculate the R value?
I would really prefer the comparator circuit though.
Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you for looking at this post.:confused:

Check out this circuit using a Tl431/LM431. I plot the current through the load resistor as a function of the discharging battery voltage (x-axis) at three positions of the trimpot wiper. Many different PFets can be substituted for the one shown.

Attachments

• dischg.jpg
    dischg.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Just move the wiper to select your ideal cutoff voltage. You may want to play with R5 to get your desired discharge current. It could be a lamp.

And the lm431 can be had out of computer mother boards tv's and radios for free, maybe even the PFet's, making the total cost just your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back