Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nikon LS 8000 ED Scanner Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warmtone

Hi this is my first post as I have just joined this excellent forum.

I am hoping to get some help on repairing a Nikon Film Scanner which has a "simple" fault that maybe easy or near impossible to fix.
I'm sure someone on this Forum has had similar challenges.

The scanner appears to have failed at the 1394 FireWire connection and I suspect my friend who owns the scanner may have inadvertently reversed the FireWire cable and blown the associated IC. He saw a "puff of smoke" from the connector when the cable was inserted. Otherwise the scanner was working fine.

My immediate problem is I cannot find a circuit diagram or workshop manual for general measurements and diagnostics......, but have established via a Mac that the FireWire communications is not working! I realise swapping the offending board would be the next step but there are no spare parts available from Nikon. Also there could be multiple issues including a dead power supply.

Some questions : Has anyone got a workshop manual for the above scanner Nikon LS 8000 ED scanner?
Is it feasible to replace a FireWire driver chip? I suspect many pins to de-solder and a nightmare!
Is it feasible to leave the FireWire chip in circuit and perhaps bypass the faulty chip with a new FireWire module?

Any constructive help appreciated to bring a fine scanner back frm the dead!

I've just realised this post is in the wrong place should be under Electronic a Repairs.
Can the Moderator please move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back