Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nigel's programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

This question is mainly for Nigel, but feel free to chime in.

I'm making my own layout for the Pic programmer that Nigel has on his site.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2004/11/p16pro40.pdf

Since ZIF sockets are so expensive, I'm going to include a 40, 20, and 8 pin dip sockets on my board. I'm working through the connections between them and I want to make sure I get them right.

Here's a list of my connections:
40pin - other socket
1- xxxx
3- 1 (8pin)
6- 4 (8pin)
15- 5 (20 pin)
16- 6 (20 pin)
23- 13(20 pin)
24- 14(20 pin)
25- 15(20 pin)
31- xxx
32- xxx
36- 6 (8pin)
37- 7 (8pin)
38- 8 (8pin)
39- xxx
40- xxx

williB said:
i would use the "machined pin " socket types..
i know Nigel likes them :wink:

I believe my question was: "Are these connections correct?", not "which type of socket to use?" please stick to the topic:!:

:D just kidding, I just read genius_man's reply so I though I'd throw in some sarcasm.

The reason I want to double check them is because pin 8 of the 8 pin pic will go to ground. and on most IC's the upper right pin (highest number) usually goes to VCC, and lower left pin goes to ground.

williB said:
i would use the "machined pin " socket types..
i know Nigel likes them :wink:

I like them to fit onto a PIC (to protect the pins), I don't like them in PCB's though 8)

I would suggest you order a P16PRO40 kit, they are so cheap, and the PCB has positions for the different sized PIC's - you can either fit the various sizes, or a ZIF socket.

I would really recommend the ZIF, they are expensive - but it makes life so much easier!.

I know I could just order it, but I want to make this myself so that I can get some practice on making my own PCB's.

Dontronics doesn't sell the P16PRO40 anymore! Does anybody know an alternative vendor for this kit?

After all...

My question is: is he going to have his questions answered, after all?

Sorry Jeff, I would like to help you but I don't know the details.

Yes, this post is not going to gain any friends for me. That's life.

Buena suerte.

Agustín Tomás

Check these guys out, prices are good and orders over $20 gets you free shipping in the US. That will already knock about $6.00 off the price from most other suppliers

https://unicornelectronics.com/index.htm

**broken link removed**

ptrapp said:
Dontronics doesn't sell the P16PRO40 anymore! Does anybody know an alternative vendor for this kit?

If you had your location filed in we might know whereabouts you were?.

Quasar Electronics are one of many people who sell them in the UK, Dontronics never actually stocked them, he just passed the order on to DIY Electronics in Hong Kong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back