Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nice TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Just had this TV come in for repair, actually on rental, the renters daughter tripped and fell into the screen - you can plainly see where her head hit!.

The picture is 4 Megapixel straight off my Fuji camera

Attachments

• DSCF0166.JPG
    DSCF0166.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 290
Shucks, if my daughter did that, I would have heart attack.
Mine slipped after bath about a month back, fractured wrist, that was also not fun, very expensive too, Three visits to the hospital.

Can you fix such damage? Not the child the lcd.

Shucks, if my daughter did that, I would have heart attack.
Mine slipped after bath about a month back, fractured wrist, that was also not fun, very expensive too, Three visits to the hospital.

Can you fix such damage? Not the child the lcd.

It needs the screen replacing, which isn't as expensive as it might have been - many Sony LCD panel's have dropped a lot in price recently.

The set itself is a KDL40W2000, a full 1080P HD set which was pretty expensive.

One would think it's gonna be cheaper to replace the whole chebang.
It normally is like that over here.
We do not seem to get the exact model here, but prices for the Bravia range from R9000 to above R60 000.
Hectic dude.
That's a lot of groceries dude.

I could watch it.

It needs the screen replacing, which isn't as expensive as it might have been - many Sony LCD panel's have dropped a lot in price recently.

The set itself is a KDL40W2000, a full 1080P HD set which was pretty expensive.

I would have just left it until it expired. Does he have home owner insurance to claim it on ?

Edit: suggest ordering a wall mount kit. kv :)

Last edited:
The kid probably got too energetic watching the cartoon or something. If somebody slipped and headbutted my LCD TV (if I had one :p) They wouldn't live long enough to go to the hospital :D :D :p

One would think it's gonna be cheaper to replace the whole chebang.
It normally is like that over here.

It is over here very often, but panel prices from Sony have dropped considerably recently - retail price of the repair looks to be about £565, on a set that was originally just under £2000 new. It's a pretty viable repair as these things go, and is still a highly specified TV.

The skunk did it.

The kid probably got too energetic watching the cartoon or something. If somebody slipped and headbutted my LCD TV (if I had one :p) They wouldn't live long enough to go to the hospital :D :D :p

Nope I think if you look closely the skunk has a rock hammer. I think the kid got to close and the skunk hit the kid thru the glass.

kv :D

Edit: Skunks have issue's

Last edited:
Nope I think if you look closely the skunk has a rock hammer. I think the kid got to close and the skunk hit the kid thru the glass.

I hadn't noticed the hammer! :D

The picture was actually a freeze frame from a Sky HD box - I froze the picture so it wasn't moving on screen, as it was a fairly long exposure.

I was just going to plug an aerial in it, but I couldn't tune it in - the TV's menu is in the bottom left hand corner, and completely invisible! :rolleyes:

KV, that's quite a sharp observation, I didn't notice either.
Kids do get excited when in from of the tv, I came upon a video of my little one when she was much smaller dancing in front of a barney video.
I absolutely cracked myself, wish you could see that hip sway, at that age and all.
Thing is we have no idea where she picked it up.
But it's really funny.

It is over here very often, but panel prices from Sony have dropped considerably recently - retail price of the repair looks to be about £565, on a set that was originally just under £2000 new. It's a pretty viable repair as these things go, and is still a highly specified TV.

Do you still have TV repair shops in UK?

The majority of repair centres have closed business here. There is not one left in this district. Even the stores that sell electronics no longer service them, only original manufacturers' depots.

The majority of repair centres have closed business here. There is not one left in this district. Even the stores that sell electronics no longer service them, only original manufacturers' depots.

Future Shop has a large repair facility in Langley; I took an appliance repair course from one of their lead repair guys a couple of years back.

According to him, on most consumer stuff these days if they figure the repair will take more than an hour or so, they just replace the unit and either return the faulty one to the manufacturer or bin it. So appliances often get repaired but electronics don't unless it's something really simple. LCD/Plasma TV repairs are often limited to swapping in a new backlight bulb and sometimes replacing a bad board.

Torben

Future Shop has a large repair facility in Langley; I took an appliance repair course from one of their lead repair guys a couple of years back.

I've seen that depot (not in my district). Do the security guards still frisk all of the employees before they are allowed to leave the premises?
Talk about a repressive workplace!

I've seen that depot (not in my district). Do the security guards still frisk all of the employees before they are allowed to leave the premises?

Dunno; never visited. It didn't sound like my image of the ideal workplace, though. :)

Torben

They are certainly getting less and less, but I run the service department for a small family firm - with LCD's and Plasma's so expensive, repairs can be fairly viable again now.

That is quite commonplace here in South Africa, with our stats, you would agree, very necessary practice.

We still have a lot of electronics repair shops around, it's common thing for South Africans to hang on to things for as long time as possible.:)
So if you can repair tv's, vcr's hi-fi's and such, there is good business here.
Rates are a bit cheap though, the poor chaps mostly stays just that.

Come to think of it, I repaired our steam iron few months back, heck those things got expensive. Just goes to show.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back