Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nice little component tester kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Someone brought this kit to my attention a couple of weeks ago, so I ordered one (as it's was crazily cheap - £7.45 :D)

https://www.banggood.com/DIY-Meter-...ntent=vera&emst=2NKh40Be80_237878_1013964_129

It came this morning, so I've put it together and it works great - it uses an ATMega, and not a great deal else really - the test transistor in the picture is a BC107. All the details are in the web link above, scroll down to the reviews for a link to the instructions and circuit.

20140807_112648[1].jpg

I have one similar it uses an atmel, really usefull and it tells you gate capacitance on fets.
The only thing with them is that theres no protection so you have to make sure caps are disharged.
I use mine when I cant be bothered to look up tranny pinouts.

Yes.
But I dont mess with atmel, so I dont know much about this one, 'cept it works well.

I ordered one for the convenience factor.....
I have a component analyzer that requires booting a PC and graphing the component, but....that's more for production and QC.
I like a tool that can quickly eval a component and some specs when prototyping.
Thanks for finding it Nigel.

I've had a similar one for a month or so - quite a nice little bit of kit for the price.

One modification though is to replace the cheap zener reference often found on these with a precision voltage reference. I'll try and find the thread I found on further firmware and hardware modifications from the person who designed it in the first place before the Chinese "adopted" it.

Ahh I was lazy and bought the ready built kit (from Banggood as well !) :p
I stumbled across the above thread that I linked to and spent a couple of days reading through the many pages. How the original designer managed to utilise the functions of the AVR in places was quite ingenious :)

I built a cap/inductance meter with a pic16f628, its in a similar plastic box to the comp tester, it too is a really usefull tool, and surprisingly accurate.
Any serious hobbyist should have these 2 instruments, the same ones that sell the comp test usually sell a cap/choke meter as well.

PS I've had my comp test 2 years on the same pp3, and its had reasonable use, so standby and run curret must be low.

Thanks for the link Nigel.

I bought 6 items online at this site all costing me less than one item would cost me in South Africa. Now I just hope I can trust the South African postal service to deliver.

Just finished assembling & gone over board checking placement of parts. On powering up, only get the LED & backlight to work nothing on the screen. Checked the 2 electrolytics, one has 9v & the other 5v. Any sugestions where ive gone wrong.
COMP TESTER.1.JPG
COMP TESTER.2.JPG
COMP TESTER.3.JPG

Have you adjusted the preset? If the LCD is powered you should at least see squares when the preset is adjusted.

Mike.

Thanks for that tip, had no idea what that preset was for. Very happy now.[ Bit of a trap that, if the preset is in the mid position the screen is completely blank.]
COMP TESTER.4.JPG

Last edited:
Ordered it and other toys last night.
Not sure it will do what I want but found cutting tools that might work as island cutters!
Very cheap to try. Ordered 2 6mm & 1 8mm. Less that a Euro for the 3.

Edit: They are perfect island cutters if you have a GOOD drill press.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back