Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NiCd/NiMh Battery Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Thrasher

Can you help me to find a link on where i can find a schematic diagram for a battery charger with an auto-cutoff when the battery is fully charge?

Hey Night

I've been doing some studying involving the same circuit. Check this site out, which gives some more discrete solutions to charging NiCad/NiMH. Look under "Power":
https://www.commlinx.com.au/schematics.htm

Also, you may want to look at the Maxim website, under "Battery Management" for a listing of their full line of battery chargers. They have quite a few circuits which involve their IC's:
www.maxim-ic.com

Also, take a look at this page, which uses one of the maxim IC's, look under "Projects in development":
www.electronicprojects.org

There are some other manufacturers who make IC's for battery management. Check out some of the main manufacturers such as Linear Technology, Fairchild, National Semiconductor etc.

Good luck.

Whoa! :shock: thanks for the links.... now which one? too many to choose from....

Any suggestion guys? I have several battery packs ranging from 7.2v to 12v and 1500mah to 3300mah in NiCd and NiMh type.

Hey night, sorry for the overload of information.

Here is a great site for learning the specifics behind NiCad charging. If you read through, you'll become familiar with what type of circuit you'll need for your batteries. This site also gives a discrete circuit that you can use, with some component values to calculate based upon the batteries that you are planning to charge.

Good info. :D
**broken link removed**

battery charger

There is a non microcontroller circuit in "The robot builders bonanza" by mccomb (excellent book by the way).
Assumes you have a DC power supply available.

A related question:
McComb suggests a charge rate of 10% of the Ah rating of the battery (2Ah=200ma charge current)

The tutorial found from the link provided by Johnson 777717 (**broken link removed**) suggest a rate of 25% for lead acid.

Anyone have any opinions ?

McComb suggest a cheap way to charge batteries is to use a AC adapter with the proper voltage/current output. I like cheap :wink: and simple so I'm keeping my eye out at the surplus store for the right adapter. Had been looking for a 6v/250ma for a 2.5Ah lead acid. Now it seems I could use up to 625ma.

Thanks
Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back