Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NiCad Charing - with NiMh charger...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pittuck

Hi, i am working on my micromouse and have come across a slight problem. Basically the MINOS micromouse conference is comming up and i might only have one set of batteries and so need a charger.

I have 2 Olympus NiMh chargers and was wondering if i could use these?

One is a 1.2V 240mAx4 charger and the other is 1.2V 490mAx4 charger.

I have 1.2V 1.2Ah batteries, would this charger charge them?

(i know u cant charge nihm in nicad charges, but not sure if the nimh method is ok for nicad).

Many thanks,

- Martyn

Depending on the chip(s) used in the chargers,
the NiCads will be either: undercharged (most
likely) or overcharged (i.e., wrong thermistor
wiring, etc.).
It would be preferable to use a small (3-6v)
supply and a resistor or lamp as a dropping
(current-limiting) resistor, and watch the
terminal voltage. This would get you by
until you could get a proper charger.
NiMH/NiCad chargers are not uncommon.
<als>

well i have a large nicad charger for <=14.4V <=2A and a smart charger for nicads and nimh.

BUT, they are large. I will be traveling on the london undergound at about 8am with a backpack, equipment case and perhaps even a laptop bag. little room for large chargers!

I could get a RC pack charger fron Rapid, but i am planning to move to lipo's for my next bot, so would only use it once!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back