Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ni-MH Charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeWawaw

Hi, i would like to make a circuit to charge 2 Ni-MH batteries in series. A trickle charge method would be good for me (charging the batteries at C/10). I was wondering whether a simple comparator cutoff circuit would be sufficient for trickle charing Ni-MH bateries, aka have a comparator to cutoff the charging at a certain threshold (say 2.8V). Thanks

Batteries come in many sizes and capacities. You forgot to say which ones you have.
C10 is not a trickle charge. If it is continuous then it will kill Ni-MH battery cells. A trickle charge is 1/40C or less. The charger is supposed to detect full charge then switch to the low trickle charge or switch off.

A battery charger circuit does not simply detect a certain voltage because the voltage varies with the charging current, the temperature and the manufacturer of the battery. Instead a small voltage rise then fall is detected.
Go to www.batteryuniversity.com to find out the details.

It is hard to find a manufacturer that recommends long-term trickle charging for NiMH batteries. The problem is preventing overcharging at the recommend rates of 0.03 to 0.05C.

Here is what Panasonic has to say about trickle charging* (https://www.panasonic.com/industrial/includes/pdf/Panasonic_NIMH_Precautions.pdf ):
upload_2013-12-11_3-37-29.png

Some manufatcurer's products do not self discharge appreciably over a few months. The Sanyo eneloop is one such product. It retains 85% or more of its initial charge for over a year. Thus, it is hard to mate the purpose of trickle charging with a battery of such low self-discharge rate. If 85% capacity is not enough, periodic charging to a fully charged state may be considered, but then you also have to consider that NIMH batteries are considerably more limited in the number of charge/discharge cycles they can undergo compared to some other rechargeable batteries, such as NiCd batteries.

John

*The language is a bit obtuse, but I think the message is that if you want to "top off" a battery, use a rate of 0.03 to 0.05C and monitor state of charge so as not to overcharge. Do not leave the battery on the charger continuously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back